Last fall I had someone from the U.S Weight Watchers office reach out to me to see if I’d be interested in creating a strawberry flavored donut for the Spring 2018 magazine issue. I was super excited to be given the opportunity and jumped at the offer. Donuts is kinda where it all started for me, I was determined to make them point friendly and I think I have done a pretty good job, my blog features over 2 dozen point friendly donut creations. These strawberry lemon donuts are so tasty and the perfect spring/summer treat! If you have the May/June WW magazine issue you may notice their recipe calls for freeze dried strawberries as well as fresh, that’s a little change they made and you are welcome to add them, I just used fresh strawberries, but make sure you dice them into small pieces to prevent “mushy” donuts, these treats are just 3 smart points each on WW freestyle.
Strawberry lemon donuts
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- ¼ cup milk I used 1%
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup fresh strawberries diced into very small pieces
- Confectionary sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a regular size 6 hole donut pan with some cooking spray.
- In a bowl whisk together your egg and sugar, add in milk, lemon juice and vanilla and stir well.
- Mix in your flour, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- Dice your fresh strawberries into very small pieces, then fold into batter.
- Divide your batter into your donut tin, you can place batter into a zip lock bag, cut a tip and pipe into pan if you wish.
- Bake in oven for 16 minutes. Let cool then using a knife gently scrape around edges to remove donuts from pan. Optional to dust with a sprinkle of icing sugar (not enough to add any points)