I love all things buffalo chicken! My buffalo chicken pasta bake is a simple dish that is spicy and delicious.
I love this pasta bake, it is a family favorite in my house, and you all know I am a huge buffalo chicken fan. This spicy pasta bake is a simple dish the whole family can enjoy. With just a few simple ingredients this dish is so easy to make. Personal point range of 4-8 per serving, 6SP on blue, 4SP purple and 8SP on green. Makes 6 servings in a 9×13 casserole dish, each serving is about 1 heaping cup.
- Cream cheese
- Ranch dressing
- Franks hot sauce
- Shredded cheese
I like to make my shredded chicken in the crockpot. I typically make a batch a week and store it in the fridge, it will last up to 4 days and I am always making chicken recipes. You can also make a huge batch and freeze it for easy use later on. I add some chicken broth to my crockpot, about 1-2 cups depending on how many chicken breast you are cooking. I have even just used water sometimes if I have been out of broth. Add the boneless skinless chicken breast to the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. I then use a couple of forks to shred it up, if it is not shredding easily then it needs some more time in the crockpot. You can also use an electric mixer to shred the chicken.
If you don’t have time to make up a batch of shredded chicken you can use any chicken for this recipe, grill some up on the BBQ and cut into cubes, buy a pre-made rotisserie chicken and cut up into small pieces.
WHAT PASTA SHOULD I USE?
I like using penne or rotini pasta for this dish but honestly, any pasta will work. If you are following the purple program be sure to use whole wheat pasta to keep the points low.
If you are not a fan of too much spice then try adding in less Franks hot sauce, the recipe calls for 1/2 cup, you could use 1/4 cup of Franks and a 1/4 of water.
I have a recipe for a lightened-up ranch dressing that you could use in this recipe. This might help lower the overall calories and points. The ranch recipe is a big hit with my followers and is so simple to make.
STORING AND REHEATING
You can store any leftovers in the fridge in a sealed container for 2-3 days. Leftovers are just as delicious the next day. This dish freezes very well, you could even prep if and freeze it before baking if you wish.
To reheat previously cooked let thaw (if frozen) and bake in the oven at 350F for about 15 minutes, or if you have an air fryer that will work too.
Cut the servings equally into 6 pieces. I prefer to use a 9×13 casserole dish but you could use a smaller 9×9 and have a thicker pasta bake.
Buffalo chicken pasta bake
- 2 cups whole wheat high fiber pasta I measure uncooked. (I use a Canadian product called PC blue menu penne, 2 cups uncooked pasta is 15pp based on my labels)
- 10 oz about 2 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 6 oz softened light cream cheese
- 1/4 cup light ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup franks hot sauce
- 2/3 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Boil your pasta according to package, drain. Preheat oven to 350F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish.
- In a large bowl add your pasta and chicken. In a small bowl cream together your cream cheese, dressing and hot sauce.
- Add mixture to your chicken and pasta and add 1/3 cup shredded cheese, leaving the other 1/3 cup aside.
- Mix well and pour into your casserole dish, pat down. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Add remaining cheese and bake another 5 minutes.
- Cut into 6 servings, 6 smart points blue, 4SP purple, 8SP green, or 7 points plus (old ww program) * smart points were determined using the freestyle WW recipe builder
- Nutritional info (adapted from my fitness pal) Per serving.. Calories 268... Fat 10.3g.. saturated fat 4.6g... Carbohydrates 20.4g... Fiber 2.1g... Sugars 3.3g... Protein 20.6g