Strawberries and bananas are two of the most popular fruits, so why not put them together in a yummy healthy treat! Both the strawberries and the banana add sweetness to the muffins, so you’re not missing out by not adding a ton of sugar. Instead, you’ll kick the sweet craving and not end up with an energy crash. This is a very healthy carb recipe that will give you natural energy.
Strawberries are not only delicious and refreshing, but they also offer an array of health benefits. These vibrant red berries pack a nutritional punch that can contribute to your overall well-being. Here are some of the impressive health benefits of strawberries: rich in antioxidants, have immune-boosting properties, are heart-healthy, help with weight management and digestive health, and are great for skin and eye health.
Bursting with the natural sweetness of fresh strawberries and bananas, these muffins are a delightful treat you can enjoy guilt-free. Get ready to indulge in a moist and flavorful delight that combines the best of both fruits, while providing wholesome ingredients that nourish your body. Let's dive into the recipe and discover how to create these heavenly, health-conscious muffins in the comfort of your own kitchen.
Three reasons why you need to try these Strawberry Banana Muffins!
You can use up brown bananas.
Banana bread is usually the way to go when you have overripe bananas. But if you’re on a weight loss journey, banana bread isn’t going to benefit you. Good banana bread is very high in sugar and fat. It tastes great but can leave you feeling lethargic. Make these muffins instead and you’ll save plenty of calories.
It’s not a typical fluffy muffin.
With this recipe, you’re getting a dense, moist strawberry muffin. It’s perfect for pairing with light ice cream for an ice cream “cake” dessert. Check out the other muffin recipes (linked below) for more of a traditional muffin texture. But definitely use this recipe for a dessert-type option.
Strawberries are rich in vitamin C and antioxidants.
They are also very rich in potassium which will support heart health. The antioxidants found in strawberries can contribute to healthier, more youthful-looking skin. They help protect against damage caused by free radicals and promote collagen synthesis, which keeps the skin firm and supple.
Ingredients you need to make Strawberry Banana Muffins:
- 150 g container of nonfat Greek yogurt, plain
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 large banana, mashed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, diced
How to make strawberry banana muffins:
- Preheat oven to 350F, and spray a regular-sized muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a bowl, beat together your egg, egg white, and brown sugar until light a fluffy. A hand mixer works best for this because you want to whip a good amount of air into it.
- Add in yogurt, mashed banana, and vanilla, and continue beating for 1 minute.
- Fold in the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and diced strawberries. To prevent the strawberries from sinking to the bottom of the muffins, mix them into the flour before mixing the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients.
- Divide into 10 muffin cups and bake in the oven for approx 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes. Enjoy!
Makes 10 muffins. Nutrition info per muffin: Calories 85, Fat .69g, Saturated fat .21g, Carbs 16g, Fiber g, Sugars 5g, Sodium 104 mg, Protein 4g.
- Nonfat Greek plain yogurt 0 points
- Egg and egg white 0 points
- Banana and strawberries 0 points
- Vanilla, Baking soda, Baking powder 0 points
- Brown sugar 5 points
- All Purpose flour 13 points
2 points per muffin based on the WW app recipe creator.
If you’re using an older version of WW, check out these points below.
Personal Points- 2 using WW recipe builder
Smart points freestyle- (blue & purple) 2 using WW recipe builder
Smart points- (green) 2 using SP calculator
Points plus- 2 using PP calculator
Different ways to change up this recipe:
- Slice a muffin in half, put it in a bowl, and microwave for 20 seconds. Top with some sugar-free whipped cream and you have a delicious “strawberry shortcake” snack.
- Use almond extract instead of vanilla extract. A strawberry extract- if you can find it - would bring the flavor to a whole new level!
- For a vegan version, replace the Greek yogurt with dairy-free almond milk yogurt (plain) and use 1 flax egg. To make a flax egg, mix 1 tablespoon of ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons of water and let it sit in the fridge for about 15 minutes. Add to step two.
- If you have the points for it- Lily’s sugar-free white chocolate chips would be an amazing addition to this.
- Substituting raspberries for the strawberries (when they’re in season) would be delicious.
- You could crush some freeze-dried strawberries (they would be a few points), and fold them into sugar-free whipped cream. It would make a great topping for these muffins.
- To make a Strawberry Banana Loaf, you can keep the recipe the same, but bake it for about 55 minutes instead. Add sliced strawberries to the top before baking for a pretty presentation.
Tips and Tricks for Strawberry Banana Muffins.
- These muffins are dense in texture and not the "fluffy" type of muffins due to the ingredients used.
- You can freeze these muffins for up to 3 months. Make sure they are double-wrapped in aluminum foil or saran wrap and placed in a freezer bag. They need to be completely cool before wrapping. Thaw one out by leaving it on the countertop overnight.
- To keep the muffins moist while storing them on the countertop, line your container with paper towels before putting the muffins in the container. Add a few saltine crackers as well! The saltine crackers will absorb any excess moisture. Place a paper towel on top of the muffins before adding the lid.
- Room temp is the best place to store the muffins. Storing them in a fridge will alter their texture and flavor.
Similar recipes you’ll enjoy:
Strawberry Banana Muffins
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized muffin tin with cooking spray.
- In a bowl beat together your egg, egg white and brown sugar. Add in yogurt, mashed banana and vanilla and continue beating for 1 minute.
- Stir in your flour, baking powder and soda. Gently fold in your diced strawberries.
- Divide into 10 muffin cups and bake in oven for approx 25 minutes.
- Let cool for 5 minutes, makes 10 muffins at 2 personal points each. Muffins are dense in texture and not "fluffy" type muffins due to ingredients used.
- Nutritional info per muffin (not incl strawberries) Calories 71..Fat 0.6g..Saturated fat 0.2g...Carbs 12.6g...Fiber 0.3g...Sugars 3.1g..Protein 3.7g