Another recipe request I’ve had from a few people over the last few months is lemon squares. I thought to myself… this one is going to be tricky, I mean lemon squares are over 50% sugar 🙁 but I was up for the challenge! I decided to use the reduced fat pillsbury crescent rolls as the crust to save on some points and it worked out really well. These lemon squares are so delicious and bursting with lemon flavor, plus they are super easy to make, I promise 🙂 The recipe makes 20 squares at 3 freestyle smart points each, although I personally did not freeze them, I think they would freeze well.
Lightened up lemon squares
- 1 package pillsbury reduced fat crescent rolls
- 1 1/4 cup icing sugar confectionery sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg whites I use liquid egg whites, 1/4 cup
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest
- Icing sugar for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9x13 dish with non stick spray.
- Roll out your crescent roll dough, I separated mine into 2 pieces (of 4 crescents) pinch together any open seams, then lay out both pieces into your baking dish and cover bottom of pan, come up the sides a bit with your dough if you can.
- Bake dough in oven for approx 12-15 minutes, checking it does not brown too much.
- Meanwhile make your lemon filling, whisk together your eggs and egg whites, whisk in lemon juice.
- Slowly whisk in your flour and then icing sugar followed by your lemon zest. Mix until it's all blended.
- As soon as you remove your crescent crust from oven pour on your lemon filling, then return to oven for 20 minutes or until filling is set.
- Let cool completely before cutting into 20 squares, 5 down, 4 across.
- When your ready to serve them dust with icing sugar, but don't do this till ready to serve as it will dissolve.
- Store in sealed container, after day 1 store in fridge for a few days, should freeze well.
- Makes 20 squares at 3-4PP depending on your 0PP foods, 3 smart points each on blue & purple, 4SP on green, 3 points plus
- Nutritional info per square.. Calories 81...Fat 2.1g..Sat fat 0.8g.. Carbs 14.3g... Fiber 0g...Sugars 9.2g... Protein 1.8g