I love soup.. although nothing beats a warm bowl of soup on a cold winters day, I will enjoy it just as much on a hot summers day (in air conditioning of course haha) I typically make soups in my crock pot but you can just as easily make them in a pot on the stove. I wanted a hearty creamy soup and this bacon cheeseburger soup did not disappoint, I used ground chicken to keep points low but you could swap out for ground beef if you don’t mind spending some extra points. This is probably one of the creamiest soups I’ve made and I was instantly in love with it.. Hash brown potatoes work great in it and keep it simple, here is a link to my product reviews so you can see the brand I buy and compare nutrition. If you have been craving a tasty creamy delicious soup I highly recommend this one, go make it now haha! Makes 12- 1 cup servings at 4 smart points each on WW freestyle
- 1lb fat free ground chicken, weighed raw
- 3 cups frozen hash browns *I linked to the ones I use in my opening write up
- 1.5 cups chopped carrots
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 4 cups chicken broth
- Salt & pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp basil
- 6 slices cooked and crumbled center cut bacon
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese (any kind will do)
- 2 Tbsp light butter *I use Gay Lea, check your local grocery store they usually carry a brand
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 2 cups milk *I used skim
- Cook your ground chicken in a pan on the stove and drain. Add chicken, hash browns, carrots, onions, chicken broth, salt & pepper, garlic powder, onion powder and basil to the crock pot, stir well and cook on high for 3 hours, or low 6 hours.
- About 15 minutes before the cooking time is up you can make your roux that you will add to the soup *you can also cook your bacon at this time if you have not already.
- In a pan over med-low heat on the stove melt your butter, add flour and stir..slowly whisk in milk. Stir continuously for about 5-10 minutes until sauce thickens. Once sauce is a creamy texture add to your crock pot. Then stir in cheese and crumbled cooked bacon.
- Let cook another 20 minutes to melt all the cheese.
- Soup makes 12- 1 cup servings
- *Feel free to add in some celery, I choose not to as I am not a fan, if you do then maybe add a little extra broth.. Soup will freeze well, store in the fridge for a few days.
Smart Points- 4 using SP calculator
Points Plus- 4 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving... Calories 156...Fat 5.4g...Sat fat 1.4g...Carbs 14.6g...Fiber 1.5g..Sugar 2.9g...Protein 13.6g using My Fitness Pal *Note- these numbers include all ingredients, old SP/PP values were figured out before adding the veggies to the ingredient list