I’m that person that passes on turkey at the Thanksgiving table, I have just never cared for it and up until recently I was also not a big fan of ground turkey either. With the Weight Watcher freestyle program I am trying to go a bit out of my comfort zone and eat more of the zero point foods so my days can balance out better. I want to have points left at the end of the day for that extra little treat I might want, and I find when I take advantage of these zero point foods that is just so much easier to do! These turkey salsa cheese stuffed burgers were amazing and so filling, and the best part, they are just 1 smart point each on the freestyle program.
- 1 lb raw fat free ground turkey (*I can usually find extra lean, maybe 97%, I just go with it)
- ½ cup salsa
- 1.5 tsp chili powder
- Dash salt & pepper
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- 2 oz (about ½ cup) reduced-fat shredded mozzarella, I used Trader Joe's
- In a bowl mix your ground turkey, panko, salsa, chili powder and salt & pepper together.
- Portion into 4 burgers, roll into balls, scoop some out to add in your cheese, stuff cheese in and then roll back into ball and press into a burger.
- I cooked mine on the barbecue over medium heat for approx 25 minutes, turning a few times, they could also be cooked in a frying pan on the stove.
- Makes 4 burgers, burgers can be frozen either before cooked or after.
- *Note- My Panko was 3SP and my cheese 2SP, that is how I got 4SP, also WW says it needs to be 99% fat free turkey/chicken to be zero points, I can't always find 99%, I've chosen to just use what I can find (usually 97%) if you are 100% by the book then you can point out the meat if you can't find 99%, or make your own.. or do what I do and just use what you can find, I don't think 97% over 99% got me to WW in the first place..
Smart Points- 3 using a SP calculator
Points Plus- 4 using a PP calculator
Nutritional info.. Calories 183...Fat 4g..Sat fat 1.2g...Carbs 7g...Fiber 1.2g..Sugar 1.2g...Protein 29.9g using My Fitness Pal