I love a good pasta bake dish. They are simple to make and even the picky people of the house tend to enjoy them haha (FYI theres a few of those at my house) My baked cheesy turkey penne is a hearty meal that takes very little time to prep. You can even make this dish and freeze it before baking for easy meal prep when you want to have your freezer stocked with meals. It has tasty seasonings that give it that burst of flavors and you can always sprinkle some fresh herbs once it is ready to serve. Makes 6 servings, 240 calories and if you are following WW it is 3-6PP depending on your 0PP foods.
- Penne pasta
- Ground turkey
- Olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Can of crushed tomatoes
If you want to use a different pasta any kind of noodle will work in this dish, I like penne but whatever you have in the cupboard will work just as well.
Shredded mozzarella is delicious in this dish but if you don’t have mozzarella in the fridge feel free to use what you have, cheddar will taste just as delicious.
This dish has some tasty seasonings in it that really help give it a burst of flavor. Feel free to top it off with some fresh herbs, you can never go wrong adding fresh herbs to a pasta bake dish.
Leftovers will last up to 3 days in the fridge in an air-tight container. This dish freezes well. You can make this dish and freeze it before or after baking, making it a great option for meal prep.
To re-heat the full dish from frozen, place it in the oven at 350F for 35-40 minutes.
Baked cheesy turkey penne
- 2 cups penne pasta *measured dry
- 1 lb extra lean ground turkey
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 28oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded mozzarella
- Boil pasta in a pan on the stove according to the package, drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add olive oil and cook the garlic over medium heat for 2 minutes. Add in the ground turkey and cook until browned.
- Mix in all of the seasonings then stir in the canned tomatoes.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 5 minutes.
- Using a 9x13 casserole dish place a very thin layer of the turkey mixture on the bottom of the dish, add in half of the cooked pasta, then 1/2 of the turkey mixture, 1/2 cup of mozzarella and repeat the steps with the remaining ingredients.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes. Makes 6 servings, each serving is 1 heaping cup.
- *Optional to top with a little fresh herbs.