I am sure you know by now creating low point muffins and loaves is one of my favorite things to do.. I love to bake and I love to experiment and see what combinations I can come up with while keeping the smart point value nice and low.. We all enjoy a fresh baked muffin in the morning or perhaps afternoon with a cup of tea.. These morning glory muffins are bursting with flavor, the apple & carrot combination was amazing, my husband could not get enough of these (lucky for him he is not counting points and ate about 5 one after the other!) you need to make these, you will love them! Makes 12 full size muffins for 3 smart points each and just 98 calories..
Morning glory muffins
- 1 egg
- ¼ cup liquid egg whites
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 large grated apple peeled
- 1.5 cups grated carrots
- ¼ cup dried cranberries cut into small pieces
- 1 ¼ cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- For the topping
- 2 tablespoon chopped pecans
- ½ tablespoon chia seeds
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon quick oats
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular 12 hole muffin pan with non stick spray.
- Using the food processor shred both your carrots and apple separately
- In a bowl whisk together your egg, egg whites and sugar.
- Cut your dried cranberries up into small pieces and add to mixture.
- Add in your apple sauce, vanilla, and apples/carrots, stir well.
- Fold in your flour, baking powder and soda, cinnamon and ginger.
- Divide batter into your 12 muffin cups, do not use paper liners.
- In a small bowl mix your ingredients for the topping and sprinkle over the tops of your muffins.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Let cool, makes 12 muffins at 3 smart points on all 3 MyWW programs (2 points plus)
- Nutritional info per muffin (not incl carrot/apple) Calories 98...Fat 1.4g..Sat fat 0.2g..Carbs 16.2g...Fiber 0.9g..Sugars 5.4g...Protein 4.7g
- Muffins best stored in fridge, freeze after a few days.
- *Please note I do not incl veggies & fruit in the nutritional info because for weight watchers fruit and veggies don't have point values, if your counting calories then you might want to add those into the equation.