I had a request from a follower on my Facebook who was looking for a chocolate zucchini loaf. I will admit, I am not a zucchini fan because…well my relationship with veggies is not very good! 😉 I have been told though that you can’t even taste the zucchini and I though ok, I am up for the challenge.. It also gave me a reason for a nice long walk to the local farmer’s market to pick up some zucchini. 🙂 Well to my surprise I loved this loaf, it is easy to make and yields 10 generous pieces at 5 smart points each.
Chocolate chip zucchini loaf
- 1 egg + 1 egg white
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp melted light margarine
- 1 cup zucchini peeled and grated (about 1 zucchini)
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized loaf pan and set aside.
- In a bowl, using an electric mixer beat together your egg, egg white, sugar, margarine and apple sauce.
- Stir in your zucchini and vanilla, then mix in your flour, baking soda & powder and cinnamon. Fold in your chocolate chips.
- Fill your loaf pan and bake in oven for 30-35 minutes. Let cool and cut into 10 pieces. Best kept in the fridge in a sealed container. Nutritional info, per slice (not incl zucchini) - Calories-120, Fat-2.4g Saturated fat 1.1g, Carbs-22.2g, Fiber-0.7g, Sugars 8.2g Protein-2.3g