With the holidays approaching I have been wanting to try out a homemade apple pie using the two ingredient dough. 2ID is just a mixture of self-raising flour and plain non fat greek yogurt, it is freestyle friendly since the yogurt is a zero point food. There are so many things you can create with the dough, *here’s my tip, It is usually equal parts flour to yogurt but I find just a tiny less yogurt helps it not be too sticky. I was pleased with the outcome of this tasty apple pie, it came together very easily and baked well, your house will smell amazing! It’s not like typical flaky pie crust by no means so if that is what you are after you might not enjoy this but it is a great alternative and keeps points nice and low, just 4 smart points per serving on WW freestyle.
2ID Apple pie
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- 8 cups of diced apples
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp white sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- Egg for brushing the top of the pie
- Coarse sugar for topping *optional
- First, you need to make your 2 ingredient dough, mix your 1 cup of flour with yogurt *I find using just a tiny bit less yogurt than flour helps it not be too sticky. Mix well and form into a ball, seal with some plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- While your dough is chilling you can peel and dice your apples.
- Preheat oven to 375F
- You want to separate your dough into 2 balls, mine weighed about 7oz each
- Dust a flat surface with some flour and roll out your first dough ball, you want to roll it out as thin as you can. Spray a 9 inch round dish with some non stick spray and then place your rolled dough into the dish. Pre bake the bottom shell for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl mix your diced apples with the lemon juice, brown sugar, white sugar, flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Let your bottom shell cool down for a few minutes, in the meantime, you can roll out your top piece.
- Place apples into the dish then cover with top dough layer * make a few cuts in the middle of rolled out doughto let air out while baking, I did this before placing dough on top of apples.
- Brush top of dough with some of your whisked egg and sprinkle some coarse sugar on top, bake in the oven for 45 minutes.
- Let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving, serves 8
- *Refrigerate or freeze leftovers, the dough will not hold up as regular flaky pie crust would.
- *Note- at 45 minutes in the oven the apples will still have a slight crunch to them still, if you prefer super soft apples then you can pre-cook them in the oven for about 15 minutes.