I always like to create a breakfast dish for the holidays. The last few years it has been a sweet creation like my cinnamon french toast bubble up, but this year I wanted to switch things up and go a little more savory, am I ever glad I did because this everything bagel cheesy breakfast bake is EVERYTHING! With using the everything but the bagel seasoning the flavor in this dish is so good and by using the two ingredient dough to make the bagels it helps keeps the points nice and low. It does require a bit of prep work, you need to make the bagels up ideally the day before so they are not too fresh and soft, you can use store bought but it will increase the points drastically. The dish also needs to sit in the fridge for an hour while the eggs are soaking in but you can leave it overnight and bake it first thing in the morning. So while it is a bit of prep it is easy enough to work around it and I promise it is worth every minute put into it! Makes 6 servings at 5SP on blue & purple, 7SP on green.
Everything bagel cheesy breakfast bake
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup 0% plain greek yogurt
- Everything but the bagel seasoning *I use Trader Joe's brand but any brand will work just as well
- 6 wedges laughing cow herb & garlic cheese
- 6 slices cooked & crumbled center cut bacon
- 1.5 cups milk *I used unsweetened cashew milk but any milk can be substituted
- 6 eggs
- Dash salt & pepper
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat shredded cheese *I used a 3 cheese blend
- First, you need to make the two ingredient dough bagels, I did this the night before so they were not soft and fresh as they work better as day olds but you could also slightly toast them if you make them the same day. Preheat oven to 375F, line with parchment paper and lightly spray.
- In a bowl mix together the flour and yogurt untill you have a dough like texture, add a little extra flour if dough is too sticky.
- Divide the 2ID into 6 equal portions, then roll out and form into a bagel shape, repeat with all dough pieces. Brush tops with a little egg wash and then sprinkle with the everything but the bagel seasoning. Bake in the oven for approximately 30 minutes or until bagels are a golden color.
- If you made the bagels the same day then I would pop them in the toaster for a few minutes to harden them up, you don't want them toasted so just a few minutes will do.
- When you are ready to build the dish (be sure to have the bacon cooked) spray a 9x13 dish with some cooking spray, cut open the 6 bagels and use 1 laughing cow wedge on each bagel, so half a wedge per half bagel. *Note, I know some flavors of laughing cow are not available everywhere so if you can't find the herb & garlic one any kind will be just as delicious! Scatter cut bagel pieces evenly over the bottom of the casserole dish
- Sprinkle 2/3 of the crumbled bacon over top of the bagel pieces and 1/3 cup of shredded cheese.
- In a bowl or large measuring cup whisk the eggs, milk and salt/pepper together. Pour over the bagel pieces evenly. Top with remaining cheese, bacon and a dash of the EBTB seasoning. Cover with foil and let sit in the fridge for 1 hour, this gives the bagels a chance to soak up the egg mixture. You can also prep this the night before and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F, keep dish covered with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 15 min.
- Remove from the oven and let cool 5 minutes, cut into 6 equal servings (approx 7oz each)
- This bake will freeze well.
Smart points green- 7 using WW recipe builder
Points plus- 7 using PP calculator
Nutritonal info per serving (includes all ingredients) Calories 256...Fat 10g...Sat fat 4.5g...Carbs 21.3g...Fiber 0.9g...Sugar 1.7g...Protein 19.9g using My Fitness Pal