These muffins are a new favorite of mine.. I posted a tease of them on my Instagram story and so many people reached out showing their excitement 🙂 I promise they are as delicious as they look! I get a lot of people tell me they don’t like banana (why I will never know cause I LOVE banana lol) but I can appreciate people have different likes and dislikes, a lot of my baking recipes have banana in them as it is a great substitute to keep points nice and low.. I set out to make a tasty “banana free” muffin and these could not of turned out any better! Makes a dozen regular sized muffins at just 3 freestyle smart points each..
Chocolate caramel apple muffins
3-4PP, 3SP on blue, green & purple
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar free caramel sauce see picture
- 1/3 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups about 2 apples shredded apple, I used food processer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cup flour I use all purpose
- For your topping
- Heaping Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp sugar free caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular size muffin tin with some non stick spray, do not use liners muffins will probably stick to them.
- In a large bowl whisk your egg, egg whites and brown sugar together. Add in apple sauce, milk, 2Tbsp caramel sauce, vanilla and shredded apple, mix well.
- Stir in your dry ingredients, flour, baking powder & soda and cinnamon.
- Divide batter over your 12 muffin cups.
- Place your 2 Tbsp caramel sauce in a small zip lock bag, cut of tip and drizzle over muffin batter, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake in oven for approx 22-25 minutes.
- Makes 12 muffins at 3-4PP each depending on your 0PP foods, 3SP each (blue, green & purple) 2 points plus. Muffins best stored in fridge after the first day and then freeze after a few days.
- Nutritional info per muffin (not incl apple) Calories 97...Fat 1.2g...Sat fat 0.5g...Carbs 17.8g...Fiber 0.4g...Sugars 3.9g...Protein 3.1g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Not a fan of chocolate chips, how many points can I leave off the recipe
Thanks ………loving the oatmeal pineapple/ coconut muffins ????????
Hi Donna the chocolate chips only add 5 points to the whole recipe , so glad you enjoy the pineapple ones 🙂
Made these tonight – AMAZING! Attached a picture. I did do them in silicone baking cups and they came out fine! I did spray the inside of the cups however. AMAZING. Seriously good!
So glad you enjoyed them Kayla, I am not sure how to see a picture you attached though 🙁
I don’t have a food processor,how else can I shred the apples?Or can I use bananas instead?
You can use banana but it basically makes it a whole new muffin 😉 do you have a grater?
Is the ff sauce here in Canada?
Yes I bought it at Walmart
Just made these…once again, amazing!! Just love your recipes
Yay.. so glad you enjoyed the muffins, I love these ones 🙂
Pingback: Weight Watchers Pumpkin Spice Cake Mix Muffins Recipe
Is it one heaping tablespoon of mini chocolate chips on each muffin, or is it one heaping tablespoon of mini chocolate chips for the entire recipe? It seems like there’s a lot of mini chocolate chips on each muffin in the pictures, I don’t think that one heaping tablespoon would stretch to cover all 12 muffins. I have the same question for the sugar-free caramel syrup for the topping. 2 tablespoons will stretch to cover 12 muffins?
It is 1 heaping Tbsp in total, they are mini and they go further than you’d think, plus remember photo’s can look more sometimes, but I promised I only used 1 Heaping, and yes same with he caramel, I placed that in a small zip lock, cut a tip and drizzled, it too will go further than you think.. I can’t help if you doubt the amount but it is what I used
Thanks for the confirmation. I’m looking forward to trying them. They look delicious!
Pingback: Apple, Pear, Cranberry Crisp with Gingersnap Topping - 7 SmartPoints • Simple Nourished Living
Planning on making these tonight 🙂 I have maybe a dumb question though, do you peel the apples before you shred them or just use them skin and all?
Hi there, I peel them 🙂 I hope you enjoy them
Could I skip the caramel sauce you think? Not a fan
Made these yesterday and they turned out so amazing! Only problem is I am having a hard time not eating them all! So yummy! Can’t wait to try more of your recipes! 🙂
So glad you enjoyed them 🙂 maybe freeze them in single portions
I never buy egg whites how can I substitute for eggs?
Sure can 🙂
I only have fresh eggs. How can I substitute them in the recipe ??? Use the whole egg, just the whites, how many ??
Hi Trica, one egg is usually equal to 2 egg whites and yes you can use whole eggs
What a wonderful recipe! I make many of your muffins etc…as after school snacks for my granddaughters. These are currently in the oven and will be devoured almost as soon as they hit the door! Thanks again for another great treat for everyone. Today I made them in a mini muffin pan, just for a change of pace.
Hi Debby, so glad you and your granddaughters are enjoying the muffins 🙂 perfect after school treat!
Suggestions on what type of apple used?
You can use any .. I typically buy either honey crisp or golden delicious