These muffins are a new favorite of mine.. I posted a tease of them on my Instagram story and so many people reached out showing their excitement 🙂 I promise they are as delicious as they look! I get a lot of people tell me they don’t like banana (why I will never know cause I LOVE banana lol) but I can appreciate people have different likes and dislikes, a lot of my baking recipes have banana in them as it is a great substitute to keep points nice and low.. I set out to make a tasty “banana free” muffin and these could not of turned out any better! Makes a dozen regular sized muffins at just 3 freestyle smart points each..
Chocolate caramel apple muffins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup liquid egg whites
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar free caramel sauce see picture
- 1/3 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1.5 cups about 2 apples shredded apple, I used food processer
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 1/3 cup flour I use all purpose
- For your topping
- Heaping Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 2 Tbsp sugar free caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular size muffin tin with some non stick spray, do not use liners muffins will probably stick to them.
- In a large bowl whisk your egg, egg whites and brown sugar together. Add in apple sauce, milk, 2Tbsp caramel sauce, vanilla and shredded apple, mix well.
- Stir in your dry ingredients, flour, baking powder & soda and cinnamon.
- Divide batter over your 12 muffin cups.
- Place your 2 Tbsp caramel sauce in a small zip lock bag, cut of tip and drizzle over muffin batter, sprinkle with mini chocolate chips.
- Bake in oven for approx 22-25 minutes.
- Makes 12 muffins at 3 smart points each (blue, green & purple) 2PP.. Muffins best stored in fridge after the first day and then freeze after a few days.
- Nutritional info per muffin (not incl apple) Calories 97...Fat 1.2g...Sat fat 0.5g...Carbs 17.8g...Fiber 0.4g...Sugars 3.9g...Protein 3.1g