It’s rhubarb season and I was getting a lot of requests for something with rhubarb.. I’ll be honest I did not think I liked it, but these muffins proved me wrong 😉 the strawberry and rhubarb go so nice together and the brown sugar topping leaves a nice sweet sticky glaze on top. If you know me then you know I love a good muffin, and these just shot right to the top of one of my favorites! Makes 12 muffins at 3 smart points each and 85 calories.
Strawberry rhubarb brown sugar muffins
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp egg whites
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup 1% milk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/3 cup flour + 1Tbsp for coating berries/rhubarb
- 1/2 cup diced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 cup fresh diced rhubarb
- FOR BROWN SUGAR TOPPING
- 1.5 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp flour
- 1/2 Tbsp cold margerine
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 12 hole regular muffin tin with cooking spray (do not use liners)
- In a bowl whisk together your egg, egg whites and brown sugar.
- Stir in your apple sauce, milk and vanilla.
- Mix in your flour, baking powder and soda.
- Dice your strawberries and rhubarb up into small pieces, in a bowl mix them with 1 Tbsp flour, this will help with them not all sinking to the bottom of the muffins. Fold into your batter and divide over your 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl combine your 1.5 Tbsp brown sugar and 1 Tbsp flour, add your cold margarine and blend with a fork, it will form a crumble like topping, sprinkle over your 12 muffins.
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes.
- Muffins best stored in fridge, makes 12 muffins at 3 smart points each (2 points plus) you can leave the brown sugar topping off if you'd prefer, the points will stay the same though.
- Nutritional info per muffin, incl strawberries & rhubarb.. Calories 85... Fat 1.4g.. Sat fat 0.3g .. Carbs 14.8g.. Fiber 0.7g... Sugars 4.6g...Protein 2.9g..