I love baking up some muffins for breakfast. I am not a coffee drinker, I drink tea all day long but I do like the taste of it in baked treats. These double chocolate espresso oatmeal muffins have been on my “to do” list for what feels like forever and I finally decided to whip them up the other day. They are delicious and go perfect with a hot cup of coffee or tea. They are simple to make and freeze well. 3SP on blue, 4SP on green, and just 2SP on purple.
Double chocolate espresso oatmeal muffins
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2/3 cup milk *I used 1%
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups oats
- 1 Tbsp instant espresso powder
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular 12 hole muffin tin with some non stick spray *do not use paper liners
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and then add the brown sugar. Mix in the applesauce, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in the oats, espresso, cocoa powder and baking powder, then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Divide batter over the 12 muffin cups, batter will not be thick *as seen in the picture
- Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes.
- Let cool 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack. Muffins will freeze well.