I often get asked for muffin recipes without using banana’s and some ask for them to be a little more decadent, so these double chocolate cookie crumble muffins are for you.. and anyone else that likes a yummy chocolate muffin without sacrificing a lot of points! Recipe makes 12 regular sized muffins at just 101 calories and 4 smart points each, bake some up today, I think everyone will love you for it 🙂
Double chocolate cookie crumble muffins
- 1 egg
- 2 Tbsp liquid egg whites I use from the carton
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3/4 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 Tbsp mini chocolate chips
- 4 oreo thin cookies
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized muffin tin with some non stick spray.
- In a bowl whisk together your egg, egg whites and sugar. You can remove the cream centers from your oreo cookies and add them into the mix, cream well to blend up the icing. Set oreo cookie wafers aside for now.
- Stir in your apple sauce, milk and vanilla and mix well.
- Add in your flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and soda and stir.
- Fold in your chocolate chips, fill muffin cups with batter.
- Use a small zip lock bag and crush up your oreo wafers into crumbs, sprinkle over tops of muffins.
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes, let cool and serve. Makes 12 muffins at 4 smart points each (3 PP, old WW program)
- Nutritional info per muffin.. Calories 101..Fat 2.2g...Sat fat 0.9g...Carbs 16.9g...Fiber 1.2g...Sugars 5.1g...Protein 3.6g
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
I see cocoa powder listed but don’t see it in the steps. When does it get added?
Hmm I must of forgot to incl in directions, I will update but when you add the flour and such
Your recipes are awesome, I just discovered them recently! Do you think they would still turn out if I just skipped the oreo cookies? I was going to, until I read the instructions and you say to put the cream filling into the batter. Might seem like a weird question, but I have all the other ingredients and don’t trust myself to have a bag or Oreos in the house.
Hi Diane, no you can still make them, they should be ok, I just put the creams in in order to not waste them lol and add a little sweetness to the batter
Thank you very much, Kate! I am going to try them today then. I have some chocolate graham wafer crumbs in the house, so will try that instead of the crushed cookies.
You have a wonderful website and I really like your approach to cooking. If you ever publish a print cookbook, I’ll definitely buy it!
Cheers from Ontario.
Thank you so much Diane, I appreciate your sweet words, hopefully one day I can do a book 🙂
It sounds like a great muffin except for the eggs & egg whites – suggestions for substitutions, other than adding more applesauce?
Hi Carrie, hmm egg is a hard one to substitute, yeah I would just say a little more apple sauce is your best option
You can use a “flax egg” I do in any baking as an egg substitute. 1 tbsp of Ground Flax with 2.5 tbsp water for each egg needed.
Thanks for the info 🙂
I have these in the oven right now, can’t wait!
Hope you enjoy them Suzi 🙂
it worked soooooooo well soooooo good
Awesome, glad you enjoyed 🙂