It was a muffin baking kinda day in my house.. I love coconut but for some reason, I don't often bake with it, so I pulled out the bag of coconut from the pantry and went to work.. the end result was these delicious double chocolate coconut banana muffins! If coconut is not your thing you can easily leave it off and still be left with a delicious decadent chocolatey muffin 🙂 makes 12 muffins at just 3 smart points each on WW freestyle.
Double chocolate coconut banana muffins
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 ripe mashed bananas
- ⅓ cup unsweetned applesauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes
- 4 tablespoon mini chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350F and spray a regular size 12 cup muffin tin with some non stick spray.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs and mix in the brown sugar. Add in mashed banana, applesauce and vanilla.
- Stir in flour, cocoa powder and baking powder.
- Fold in 2.5Tbsp of chocolate chips *leaving the remaining 1.5Tbsp for the topping
- Batter will be on the thicker side and that is ok, fill muffin cups equally with batter
- Sprinkle the coconut on top of the batter and then the remaining chocolate chips *Note- if you are not a fan of coconut you can leave it off, there is 5SP in the 3Tbsp so I'm not sure it will lower the points, you could add an extra tablespoon of chocolate chips to the batter instead.
- Bake in the oven for 22 minutes or until baked right through, let cool then remove from baking tin.
- Muffins best stored in the fridge after a day, they will freeze well.
Smart Points- (green) 4 using WW calculator
Points Plus- 3 using PP calculator
Nutritional info... Calories 122...Fat 3.6g...Sat fat 2g...Carbs 21.4g...Fiber 2.5g...Sugar 9g...Protein 3g using My Fitness Pal *Note- this incl all ingredinets, old SP/PP were determined before entering the banana/applesauce into the equation