I love a good hearty casserole dish, especially during the cold winter months. This cheesy chicken broccoli & potato bake is a simple dish the whole family can enjoy. It has basic ingredients and comes together easily with a little prep time. Makes 6 – 1.5 cup servings at 5SP on the purple program, 7SP on the blue program and 9SP on the green program.
Cheesy chicken broccoli & potato bake
5-9PP, 5SP purple, 7SP blue, 9SP green
- 1.5 lb bag mini potatoes
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Dash of paprika
- 2 Tbsp light butter
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1.5 cups milk *I used 1%
- Pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese * I used a 3 cheese blend
- 3 Tbsp grated parmesan cheese
- 16 oz cooked cubed chicken
- 3 cups fresh broccoli *frozen should work as well
- Preheat oven to 450F, cut the mini potatoes in half, toss with oil, garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper, paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Spread potatoes on a baking sheet, I lined with some parchment paper and bake for 30 minutes.
- If you have not cooked the chicken yet you can do so at the same time, although not at that temperture in the oven, you can cook on the stove in a frying pan or in the air fryer *My chicken was pre-cooked in the oven before the potatoes
- Once the potatoes are done lower oven temp to 350F, you can now make the cheese sauce, in a large pan on the stove melt the butter over medium heat, add in the diced garlic, once the butter is melted add in the flour, it will form a paste.. slowly whisk in the milk until it has all blended with the paste.
- Cook over medium-low heat, it will start to thicken..add in 1 cup of shredded cheese and 2 Tbsp parmesan cheese *leave 1 Tbsp aside for topping. Stir sauce for 3-5 minutes untill all cheese has melted. Turn stovetop off and then add in the chicken and broccoli, gently stir then add in the potatoes and stir again.
- Transfer to a 9x13 sprayed casserole dish. Sprinkle remaining 1 Tbsp parmesan cheese on top and bake in the oven for 30 minutes, check the potatoes are cooked through, some ovens vary and may require a few extra minutes for the potatoes.
- Makes 6 servings, 9-9.5oz per serving *approx 1.5 cups
- Store any leftovers in the fridge and this dish will freeze well.
Personal Points- 5-9 depending on your 0PP foods Smart Points Blue- 7 using WW recipe builder Smart Points Green- 9 using WW recipe builder Smart Points Purple- 5 using the WW recipe builder Points Plus- 8 using PP calculator Nutritional info per serving... Calories 342...Fat 12.8g..Sat fat 5.7g...Carbs 28.5g...Sugar 5.2g..Fiber 2.8g...Protein 27.1g using My Fitness Pal *Note includes all ingredients even any zero point foods
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Love this! Trying to make this now as we speak. I think I needed to add more chicken and potatoes. I also shouldn’t have had the potatoes cook so long because I didn’t know how long you left them in the oven. Hopefully this turns out well on my end ?
Hi Lauren, recipe states the potatoes are cooked in the oven for 30 minutes, I did give the measurements for the exact amount of chicken and potatoes I used.. hopefully you enjoyed it 🙂
This was really good! But I’m on blue, made it using the ingredients listed and it calculated as 9 points a serving not 7.
Hi Jennifer, I can only go based of my WW app and the products I used, maybe you used a different cheese?? It is hard to say and we have to remember that products vary depending what we buy and where we live, but here is a breakdown of my points taken right out of my recipe builder in my WW app for blue.. butter 7SP, olive oil 3SP, milk 5SP, reduced-fat cheese 9SP, parmesan cheese 3SP, mini potatoes 13SP, flour 3SP.. any other ingredients are zero foods ..
I don’t know that I’ve ever commented, but I have to say, I’ve made SO MANY of your recipes over the year. I usually never modify them, unless the ingredients are a little different, and they are always very yummy! Just had to chime in and say thanks for what you do!
Hi Crystal, thank you so much for your kind words 🙂 I am so happy to hear you are enjoying the recipes
Thanks so much for your you’re wonderful recipes. You said this freezes well…should I freeze it before the final baking or after? If after, how would you best reheat it?
Hi Chris, you are very welcome, I would freeze it after the final cooking
Let me thank you first for your posts. I just recently found your site and I’m really looking forward to trying the different recipes. I made Lifetime last October and now I’m striving to maintain! I wanted to ask — I notice in some of your recipes that I’ve looked at and want to try, you use 1% milk. Would unsweetened almond milk substitute okay, do you think? Thanks for your time!
Hi Linda, congrats on lifetime that is fantastic! Yes you can sub almond milk, I use cashew milk in some of my recipes as well since I am dairy sensitive 🙂 I hope you enjoy all the recipes
This was delicious!! A bit dangerous for me and my love of potatoes!! Lol. Thanks for your great recipes
So glad you enjoyed it 🙂 that is one of the reasons I only tried out team purple for a month, too many potatoes haha
Made this tonight. Has a few steps but pretty easy and is really tasty! I added a little more of the three main ingredients so just made a bit more of the sauce. Will make again!
One thing I should note, the broccoli is al dente so if you like veggies more well done you may want to par boil them.
I just realized I don’t have butter. Has anyone ever used coconut oil or olive oil for a substitute in this for the butter?
Hi Fran, sorry for the late reply.. I imagine in the future if you need to replace it with the oil it will work ok ..hope you enjoyed it 🙂
Did I miss something….when do I add in the cayenne pepper?
Hi, sorry just a miss type.. it is with all the other seasonings on the potatoes, I just updated it thanks 🙂
I’ve made this twice now for my family. It came out AMAZING both times. My picky husband even had seconds (& thirds!). Great recipe!!
Hi Laura, yay!! That is so great to hear 🙂
I’m low on milk…can I used almond milk instead?
I’m sorry I am late getting to this, yes any milk will be fine
Can I add pasta to it?
Sure, I don’t see why not 🙂
I made the meal tonight, it is really good. I added breadcrumbs to the top to give it a little crunch. My family loves it, and it goes great with a rosemary sourdough. The flavor is pretty good. I didn’t add the cayenne pepper, but instead, I added rosemary and fresh basil.