It has been a while since my last “bubble up” dinner recipe, last April to be precise and well we can’t have that.. I was making my white chicken chili tacos one day which are a big hit on my blog when it hit me that this must be my next bubble up creation. Say hello to this delicious and hearty white chicken chili bubble up, full of flavor and so satisfying! Makes 6 servings at 6SP on the blue & purple program and 8SP on green.
White chicken chili bubble up
6-8PP, 6SP blue & purple, 8SP green
- 1 Tbsp light butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 cup milk *I used 1%
- 1/3 cup fat free sour cream
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper diced
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 2.5 cups 10oz cooked shredded chicken breast
- 1/2 cup corn canned or frozen (drain if using canned)
- 1 cup white kidney beans cannellini beans drained
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 7.5 oz package great value buttermilk biscuits *see picture above.. Note- If you can not find the small 7.5oz package buy the smallest pack you can and weigh out 7.5oz cut biscuits open then cut each half into 6 pieces so you have enough small biscuit pieces. If you use a larger pack of biscuits it will increase the points
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9x13 casserole dish with some cooking spray.
- Open the biscuits and cut all 10 biscuits into 6 pieces each, scatter half of the pieces (30) onto the bottom of the dish and pre bake for about 5 minutes *this is because the filling is heavy and you want the bottom biscuits pieces to cook through.
- While the biscuits are in the oven melt the butter in a pot on the stove over medium heat, add in flour to form a paste then quickly whisk in the milk till the paste is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the sour cream and broth and stir for about 5 minutes, you will notice the sauce will thicken slightly. Add in the spices and continue to stir for a few more minutes then remove from heat
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, corn, beans and diced pepper *be sure to drain both the corn & beans. Add in the cream mixture and stir well.
- Place half of the chicken mixture on top of the pre baked biscuits, top with remaining biscuits pieces (uncooked ones) then top with remaining chicken mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil, add the cheese and continue baking uncovered for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and biscuits are baked. Makes 6 servings each approx 7oz, store leftovers in the fridge, it will freeze well.
- *Note- if you want to leave the beans out that is fine, just replace with 1 more cup of shredded chicken
Personal Points- 6-8 depending on your 0PP foods Smart points blue & purple- 6 using WW recipe builder Smart points green- 8 using WW recipe builder Points Plus- 7 using PP calculator Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 289...Fat 5.9g...Sat fat 2.2g...Carbs 32.3g...Fiber 2.8g...Sugar 5.1g...Protein 19.9g using My Fitness Pal *Incl all ingredients
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Loved it! Made this but will bell pepper instead of jalapeno and decided to opt out on beans and add more chicken. Was very flavourful and filling
Hi Kayla, yay.. so glad you enjoyed it.. I too prefer it with more chicken since I am not much of a bean person but wanted to make it that way for those that enjoy them 🙂
That is great! Variety for everyone 🙂
What is the portion size for WW?
Hi Sylvia you can see in number 7. in instructions that it serves 6 at approx 7oz per serving and all points are listed per serving
Do you think this could be made in a slow cooker/crock pot? My workshop is having a ‘tasting’ after the meeting and I’m looking for something that I can keep hot. Appears this could be spooned out for ‘just a taste’ when the recipe is shared. Thanks for your reply; need this to take on Thursday, 2/20/20! Carol
Hi Carol, sorry I am probably late to reply, I have never made a bubble up recipe in the slow cooker, I am not sure how the biscuits would bake and if it would all come together as it does in the oven, I will have to try it out one day
Do you think it would be ok to exchange plain greek yogurt for the sour cream?
Hi Katie, yes that will work fine
I made this too. Good.
Glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Do you think this would work with 2 ingredient dough in place of the biscuits?
Hi, I have seen others try the bubble ups using the 2ID, while they say it is ok it doesn’t quite compare to the biscuits, but definitely give it a try if you are curious
Could you just mix the biscuit dough into the chicken chili mixture vs. placing on the bottom? I’m wondering if this could be a make ahead recipe that can just be put in the oven all at once.
Hi Mallory, you could try but just be sure that the dough pieces don’t clump together as you are mixing them in
Does this freeze ok?
never mind, I read the whole recipe and see my answer above, sorry!
Yes it will freeze well 🙂
Could you make this with canned chicken?
Yes I don’t see why not
So frustrated that the image won’t appear when I go to print these recipes and click on the recipe image (so that a picture of the dish appears at the top of the recipe)…I print out my recipes for my binder and need to have a picture with the recipe – anyway this issue could be fixed? I love this site but sad that the recipe image can’t be on the printed recipe ?
Hi Monica, I’m so sorry, I’m not sure how to make that happen but I’ll look into it