It has been a while since my last “bubble up” dinner recipe, last April to be precise and well we can’t have that.. I was making my white chicken chili tacos one day which are a big hit on my blog when it hit me that this must be my next bubble up creation. Say hello to this delicious and hearty white chicken chili bubble up, full of flavor and so satisfying! Makes 6 servings at 6SP on the blue & purple program and 8SP on green.
- 1 Tbsp light butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- ¾ cup milk *I used 1%
- ⅓ cup fat free sour cream
- ¾ cup chicken broth
- 1 jalapeno pepper, diced
- ½ tsp cumin
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 2.5 cups (10oz) cooked shredded chicken breast
- ½ cup corn, canned or frozen (drain if using canned)
- 1 cup white kidney beans (cannellini beans) drained
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 7.5oz package great value buttermilk biscuits *see picture above.. Note- If you can not find the small 7.5oz package buy the smallest pack you can and weigh out 7.5oz, cut biscuits open then cut each half into 6 pieces so you have enough small biscuit pieces. If you use a larger pack of biscuits it will increase the points
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9x13 casserole dish with some cooking spray.
- Open the biscuits and cut all 10 biscuits into 6 pieces each, scatter half of the pieces (30) onto the bottom of the dish and pre bake for about 5 minutes *this is because the filling is heavy and you want the bottom biscuits pieces to cook through.
- While the biscuits are in the oven melt the butter in a pot on the stove over medium heat, add in flour to form a paste then quickly whisk in the milk till the paste is dissolved, about 1 minute.
- Stir in the sour cream and broth and stir for about 5 minutes, you will notice the sauce will thicken slightly. Add in the spices and continue to stir for a few more minutes then remove from heat
- In a large bowl mix together the chicken, corn, beans and diced pepper *be sure to drain both the corn & beans. Add in the cream mixture and stir well.
- Place half of the chicken mixture on top of the pre baked biscuits, top with remaining biscuits pieces (uncooked ones) then top with remaining chicken mixture.
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 40 minutes. Remove foil, add the cheese and continue baking uncovered for 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and biscuits are baked. Makes 6 servings each approx 7oz, store leftovers in the fridge, it will freeze well.
- *Note- if you want to leave the beans out that is fine, just replace with 1 more cup of shredded chicken
Smart points green- 8 using WW recipe builder
Points Plus- 7 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 289...Fat 5.9g...Sat fat 2.2g...Carbs 32.3g...Fiber 2.8g...Sugar 5.1g...Protein 19.9g using My Fitness Pal *Incl all ingredients