Did someone say Tacos? My white chicken chili tacos are so tasty and sure to be a hit!
I've been wanting to make a taco recipe for a long time now, I picked up these Mission yellow corn tortillas on my last trip to the U.S. After speaking with a friend of mine, we determined that the Grimm's corn tortilla's here in Canada have the same point value. I have also had a white chicken chili recipe on my "to-do" list for a while now as it can be very point friendly on WW freestyle, so I did what I thought was best and combined the two. These tacos are so good and have great flavor plus they come together super easy, only 102 calories each, 2-3 PP if following WW.
- Sour cream
- Chicken broth
- Green chilies
- Salt & pepper
- Chili powder
- Shredded chicken
- Green onion
- Shredded cheese
WHAT TORTILLAS SHOULD I USE?
These Mission corn tortillas I used were purchased in the U.S on one of my cross-border shopping trips. If you live in Canada the Grimm's corn tortillas have the same point value as the Mission. They come up on my Walmart.ca page so if you live in Canada and are having a hard time finding them try there. You can also try these Casa Mendosa ones they will work just as well. I prefer using a corn tortilla with these white chicken chili tacos however if you prefer to use a regular white tortilla they will still turn out fine.
I like to make my shredded chicken in the crockpot. I typically make a batch a week and store it in the fridge, it will last up to 4 days and I am always making chicken recipes. You can also make a huge batch and freeze it for easy use later on. I add some chicken broth to my crockpot, about 1-2 cups depending on how many chicken breast you are cooking. I have even just used water sometimes if I have been out of broth. Add the boneless skinless chicken breast to the crockpot and cook on high for 3-4 hours. I then use a couple of forks to shred it up, if it is not shredding easily then it needs some more time in the crockpot. You can also use an electric mixer to shred the chicken.
If you don't have time to make up a batch of shredded chicken try using a pre-made rotisserie chicken, cut up into small pieces, you can also use canned chicken if you are in a pinch for time.
STORING AND RE-HEATING
These tacos can be stored in the fridge for up to 3 days. To re-heat I like putting them in the air fryer, they just need a few minutes, you can also reheat them in the oven, 350F for 10-15 minutes should be enough.
These tacos will freeze well, I like storing them in small zip locks to make it easy to grab 1 or 2 from the freezer. To reheat from frozen I let them thaw out on the counter and then heat them in the air fryer or oven.
White chicken chili tacos
- 14 small tortilla's as shown
- 1 tablespoon light butter I use Gay Lea
- 1.5 tablespoon flour
- ½ cup milk I used 1%
- ¼ cup light sour cream
- ½ cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped canned green chilies
- Dash of salt & pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups 8oz cooked shredded chicken
- ¾ cup frozen corn
- Diced green onion
- 3.5 oz shredded reduced-fat mozzarella I use Trader Joe's
- In a pan on the stove melt your butter over medium heat, stir in your flour quickly, it will form a paste.
- Whisk in your milk till the paste has dissolved, about 1 minute, stir in sour cream and broth and cook for 2 minutes stirring often, the sauce should thicken. Add seasonings and green chilies, remove from heat and set aside (you can give it a few stirs while it is set aside so it does not set too much)
- Preheat oven to 400F, line a large baking sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl mix your shredded chicken, corn and green onion together, pour in your cream sauce and mix well.
- Heat a small frying pan on the stove over medium heat and add some cooking spray. Heat up one tortilla at a time, place in pan and give the tortilla a light spray, warm about 20 seconds on each side then place on your baking tray.
- Scoop about 2 tablespoon of chicken mixture into your tortilla, top with 1 tablespoon shredded cheese and fold over, repeat with all 14 tortillas. I lightly sprayed all of the tortillas just before going into the oven to "crisp" them up a bit.
- Bake in the oven for approx 12 minutes.
- Serve immediately, makes 14 tacos. They will freeze well, store in the fridge.