A lightened-up burrito bowl chock full of flavor in less than 20 minutes? Yes, please! We have a recipe that might well become your new go-to family favorite, it’s so easy, and the result always impresses. The entire meal is 8 WW points per serving, but substitutes can bring the total down (Consider cauliflower rice instead of brown rice).
The chicken and vegetables are cooked in a delicious mix of Mexican spices and served on a bed of fluffy brown rice and topped with spring onions. I like this chicken burrito bowl, but if you are looking for more flavor, sour cream, pico de gallo, grated cheddar cheese, and guacamole make excellent additions.
These tasty filling bowls are a lifesaver on busy weeknights. The only points are for the brown rice, the corn, and the avocado. Another positive is that this recipe makes for great leftovers for lunch when you need a meal you know is delicious and full of plenty of good stuff.
Why you should try this Weight watchers burrito bowl recipe
- This bowl has it all – lean protein, plenty of vegetables, low GI brown rice – and it tastes absolutely delicious. It’s lower in fat and calories than a traditional burrito but is packed with the flavors of Mexico.
- It’s endlessly customizable. Swap the chicken for pork or lean beef, add extra vegetables like mushrooms with the capsicum, or top with salad vegetables.
- You’ll likely have most of these ingredients on hand, and it is budget-friendly, particularly if you use in-season produce.
Weight Watchers burrito bowl Ingredients
- Chicken breast, finely diced or minced (Ground Chicken is a fine substitute) 400g
- Carrots, 2
- Green pepper, 1
- Corn, 1 cob or 200g frozen kernels
- Brown rice, 1 cup
- Avocado, 1
- Cheese, optional
- Garlic, crushed, 1 teaspoon
- Cumin, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Paprika, 1 teaspoon
- Tomatoes, crushed and sieved, 200g
- Chicken stock powder, 1 Tbsp or 1 oxo cube
- Cayenne pepper, ½ teaspoon, optional
- Olive oil, 2 teaspoons
How to make weight watchers burrito bowl (step by step)
- Finely dice the carrot and capsicum. Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large frypan over medium-high heat. Add carrot and capsicum and cook, occasionally, stirring until they start to brown/char.
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob and add to the pan. Add spices and cook, stirring 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from the pan and wipe clean.
- Return the pan to the heat and add another teaspoon of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering, add the finely diced chicken breast. Cook, occasionally stirring 2-3 minutes until the meat has browned.
- Return the vegetables to the pan with the chicken. Add the tin of chopped tomatoes and turn down the heat to low. Allow simmering 5-6 minutes until thick.
- To make the rice: add 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water, and a teaspoon of salt to a pot. Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to low. Simmer covered 12 minutes. Remove from heat without taking off the lid and sit for 10 minutes—fluff with a fork.
- To build the bowls, add a spoonful of rice to each bowl/plate and top with the meat mixture. Add avocado and fresh spring onions if desired.
weight watchers burrito bowl Variations/Substitutions
- You can swap out the chicken for a tin of black or kidney beans to make it vegetarian.
- Substitute the rice for cauliflower rice to reduce the points even further.
FAQ/Tips and Tricks Section for Making weight watchers burrito bowl
- Brown the chicken mince over medium-high heat and let it sit on the hot pan for long enough to get a nice brown color. Don’t keep stirring it, or it can start to stew. Use a wide spatula to flip it over a few times to ensure even browning.
- Add the garlic near the end to stop it from burning.
- An easy way to remove corn from the cob it to cut the stalk end off just above the first row of kernels. Hold the uncut end and squeeze and shake until the corn slides out.
Spicy Mexican Burrito Bowl
- 1 Chicken breast
- 2 Carrots
- 1 Green pepper
- 1 Cob Corn
- 1 Cup Brown rice
- 1 Avacado
- 1/2 Cup Cheese (optional)
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Tsp Cumin
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 can Crushed tomatoes
- 1 cube Chicken stock powder
- 1/2 Tsp Cayenne pepper
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil
- Finely dice the carrot and green pepper.
- Heat 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large frypan over a medium-high heat. Add carrot and green pepper and cook, stirring until brown and charred
- Remove the corn kernels from the cob and add to the pan. Add spices and cook stirring 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from pan and wipe clean.
- Return pan to the heat and add another teaspoon of olive oil. Once the oil is shimmering add the finely diced chicken breast. Cook, stirring occasionally 2-3 minutes until the meat has browned.
- Return vegetables to the pan with the chicken. Add the tin chopped tomatoes and turn down the heat to low. Allow to simmer 5-6 minutes until thick.
- To make the rice: add 1 cup of rice, 2 cups of water and a teaspoon of salt to a pot. Bring to a boil then turn down heat to low. Simmer covered 12 minutes. Remove from heat without taking off the lid and sit for a further 10 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- To build the bowls, add a spoon of rice to each bowl/plate and top with the meat mixture. Add avocado and fresh spring onions if desired.