Simple is what we all need these days! These chicken burrito bowls are so easy to put together, they are great for meal prep if you want them for lunches throughout the week. Feel free to add in some extras that won’t add any more points depending on what program you are following, like black beans, cherry tomatoes or diced cucumber. You can also use grilled chicken instead of ground chicken, use the same spices to make a rub for the chicken breast. Based on the ingredients I used these tasty chicken burrito bowls are 4SP on blue, 1SP on purple, and 8SP on green.
Easy chicken burrito bowls
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- Dash of Salt & pepper
- Pico de gallo *you can buy this pre-made or make it yourself.. 1 small tomato diced, 1/8 cup diced onion, 1 Tbsp diced jalapeno, little chopped fresh cilantro, 1 Tbsp lime juice, pinch of salt & pepper.
- 2 cups cooked rice *I used white rice and added a squeeze of fresh lime juice, any rice is fine, if following purple use brown rice for 0SP
- 1 cup corn *canned or frozen *cook according to package
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese
- Sliced avocado *optional
- Cook the rice according to the package, for 4 servings I made 2 cups of rice so each serving has 1/2 cup.
- Spray a large pan with some cooking spray and cook the ground chicken over medium heat, stir in all the seasonings and mix well, if it seems a little dry feel free to add a splash of water. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cook the corn according to the package, you can also add black beans if you'd like.
- Make the pico de gallo if you did not buy this pre-made. Dice the tomato, onion and jalapeno pepper. Stir in the lime juice and salt/pepper. Add a little chopped cilantro.
- Now it is time to build the bowls, start with the rice and ground chicken, then add the pico de gallo, corn, shredded cheese (1/4 cup per bowl is what I used) and finish off with some avocado. These are great to make for meal prep, they will be good in the fridge for a few days, I would add the sliced avocado only when you are ready to eat it.
Points for these burrito bowls will really depend on what program you are following and if you do any extra add-ins. I am pointing them based on what I used *minus the avocado as I feel that is an optional topping. Personal Points- 1-8 depending on your 0PP foods Smart points- blue 4 using the WW recipe builder *points are for the rice and cheese Smart points- green 8 using WW recipe builder *points are for the rice, chicken, corn and cheese. Smart points- purple 1 using WW recipe builder *points are for the cheese and this is when using brown rice.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
Do you have the calories for this at all??
Hi Caity I did not do the calories, you can easily build it in My fitness Pal to figure it out, I figure people might make changes, add extra or not use the avocado so the calories could vary a lot based on that
I am definitely going to make this. However, I think the points are off; on blue at least. A half cup of rice would be 3 points, as would a quarter cup of cheese. So I believe this should be 6, instead of 4 points.
Hi Jenny, cheese can really vary in points based on brand and what you have access to..best to build your bowl in the WW app based on the products you have
My husband and I loved this recipe! Thank you for sharing! We have had it for lunch the last several weeks. We garnished with sour cream instead of avocado and he just loved the rice!
Awesome, I am so glad you both enjoyed the burrito bowls 🙂
Made this for a quick simple dinner tonight. Didn’t have ground chicken but did have ground turkey. Enjoyed it and am looking forward to lunch tomorrow. Thanks Kate.
Hi Carol, yay, so glad you enjoyed the bowls 🙂