The smell of freshly baked banana bread is just one of those things that everyone loves! This recipe makes a healthier yet lovely spiced banana loaf with minimal ingredients and maximum flavor.
Excellent addition to breakfast, brunch, or as a snack, this healthier version of banana bread is quick to prepare; mix everything and bake! Although this recipe contains a minimal amount of brown sugar, most of the sweetness comes from the ripe bananas and honey, a wonderfully decadent combination that still comes in at only 4 WW points and 230 calories for a slice!
A slice of this will really satisfy cravings for something sweet and dense and topped with some light butter and a drizzle of honey. It’s also great, popped in a lunchbox or tucked away as a late-night treat.
Why should you try this weight watchers banana bread recipe?
- It has the same moist texture and delicious taste as classic banana bread with fewer calories, fat, and sugar.
- Simple ingredients, you probably have most of them in your pantry!
- Quick and easy to whip up to impress company or to liven up a weekend breakfast.
Weight Watchers banana bread Ingredients
- Bananas, ripe enough to have brown spots, 3 medium
- Plain flour, 1 ½ cups
- Egg, 1 medium
- Brown sugar, 2 tablespoons
- Cinnamon, 2 teaspoons
- Baking powder, 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda, 1 teaspoon
- Salt, 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable or canola oil, 2 tablespoons
- Honey, 2 tablespoons - optional
How to make weight watchers banana bread (step by step)
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Add parchment paper to a loaf tin and set aside. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt to a large bowl.
- Mash the banana in a separate bowl with a fork, then add egg, brown sugar, and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until no flours lumps are remaining.
- Pour into a loaf tin and top with any extra banana and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the center comes out with a few crumbs. Cool, then slice and serve with butter and honey.
Weight Watchers banana bread Variations/Substitutions
- I’ve been known to throw in a handful of nuts, seeds, and sugar-free chocolate chips through my batter, which is exceptionally delicious! Add up to ½ cup of extras of your choice (this will affect points value).
- You can replace the brown sugar with a sugar substitute or even leave it out entirely. Adding it gives the loaf an extra depth of flavor and texture, but it’s plenty sweet enough with just the banana.
- Make sure to use ripe bananas, as they contain the most sweetness. Choose ones that have black spots and a strong fruity scent.
FAQ/Tips and Tricks Section for Making weight watchers banana bread
- Mash the banana well to ensure it gets evenly distributed.
- Try not to overmix. Stir it just until the flour has completely incorporated.
Weight Watchers Points for Bananas
Did you know that bananas are a zero-point food on the Weight Watchers program? This delicious fruit is not only a great source of energy, but it's also a guilt-free snack that won't sabotage your weight loss goals. All fresh fruits are zero point items, including bananas, apples, blueberries, oranges, strawberries and watermelon among others.
Weight Watchers Banana Bread
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Add parchment paper to a loaf tin and set aside.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt to a large bowl.
- Mash the banana in a separate bowl with a fork then add egg, brown sugar and oil. Mix until well combined.
- Add the wet mixture to the dry ingredients and stir with a spatula until there are no flours lumps remaining.
- Pour into a loaf tin and top with any extra banana and bake for 40-45 minutes until the top is golden and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out with a few crumbs. Cool then slice and serve with butter and honey.