If you don’t like tater tots or sloppy joe’s we can’t be friends…. just kidding! Let’s face it we all like simple dishes and ones that the whole family, including those picky kids will eat. This turkey sloppy joe tater tot casserole is sure to be a hit at any table, it’s simple to make and who doesn’t like a dish with tater tots in it, mum win am I right! This tasty dish takes little time to prepare and is just 6 smart points per serving on WW freestyle.
Turkey sloppy joe tater tot casserole
- 1 lb fat free ground turkey *weighed raw
- 1 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1 can tomato paste 5.5oz
- 1/4 cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp worchestershire sauce
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Dash of pepper
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese *mine is pictured 1 cup = 9SP
- 48 frozen tater tots
- Cook the ground turkey in a frying pan on stove over medium heat.
- Preheat oven to 425F and spray a 9x13 casserole dish with some cooking spray.
- Once turkey is cooked, add diced onions and garlic, let cook for a few minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, ketchup, brown sugar, worchestershire, mustard, vinegar and pepper and mix well, let cook for 5 minutes over low heat.
- Transfer meat mixture to casserole dish. Sprinkle just a little more than 1/2 cup of the cheese on top of meat mixture. Place frozen tater tots on top, I did 6 rows of 8 tater tots.
- Bake in oven for 15 minutes, remove and sprinkle remaining cheese on top then return to the oven for 10 minutes. Make sure the tater tots are cooked through.
- Makes 6 servings at 6 freestyle smart points each. Use the tater tots as a guide per serving, each one should have 8 tater tots in it. Left overs will freeze well.