I love cooking a meal in my slow cooker, there’s something about that smell of dinner through the house all day that just brings me comfort. Talking about comfort food this slow cooker chicken & dumplings turned out amazing and it was a big hit, it will definitely be on rotation now.. Make’s 10 servings at 3SP on both blue and purple programs, 5SP on the green program.
Slow cooker chicken & dumplings
- 2 lbs raw boneless skinless chicken breast (approx 32oz cut into cubes)
- 2.5 cups peeled and diced carrots
- 2 cups diced celery
- 1.5 cups diced onion
- 2 cans low fat Campbell's cream of chicken soup (284ml cans *or anything similar, brands vary in Canada/U.S)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1/2 tsp each salt & pepper
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 1 package Pillsbury country biscuits *If in the U.S you can use the small 7.5oz packages with 10 small biscuits
- Heat crock pot (high or low depending on what you choose for cooking time)
- Cut chicken into 1-2 inch cube size pieces, place in the crock pot. add all diced veggies and the seasonings.
- Add the 2 cans of soup and the broth, stir well.
- If you are using the 7.5oz package of 10 biscuits (found in the U.S) then use all 10, cut each biscuit into 6. If you are in Canada and using the Pillsbury country biscuits use only 7 of the biscuits, cut each biscuit into 6 pieces.
- After 2.5 hours (on high) or 6.5 hours (on low) stir in the corn starch to thicken it up. If you cooked on low you need to turn to high for the biscuits.
- Place biscuit pieces in the crock pot, resting on top of the stew-like mixture, make sure heat is set to high once you add the biscuits, close lid, and cook for 1-1.5 hours (VERY IMPORTANT not to open the lid while the biscuits are in there "cooking") Depending on what slow cooker you have the biscuits will take anywhere from 1-2 hours, quick cooking cookers will take less and older models may take longer, if you can't see the biscuits without removing the lid them check them at about the 75 minute mark, but be quick and if they don't seem done quickly put the lid back on.
- Makes 10 servings, approx 1 heaping cup servings. This will freeze well.
- *Note- if you can't find the same soup I used look for any alternative, cream of celery or even mushroom will work just as well, just make sure it is a condensed soup.
Smart Points- green- 5 using WW recipe builder
Points plus- 5 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 226...Fat 4.7g..Sat fat 1.2g...Carbs 22.7g...Fiber 1.7g..Sugar 4.5g...Protein 22.3g using My Fitness Pal *Note- this includes all ingredients, even 0SP foods so if using these numbers in a WW calculator you will get different point values