I don’t often cook pork, well unless it’s bacon ha! So when I do cook it I want it to be tasty and leave me wanting more.. I love shredded pork and decided to try my own version of pork carnitas, which is a fancy name for a Mexican inspired pulled pork. This pork is so tender and juicy and full of flavor! You can make wraps out of it, top some rice or nachos, or just scoop that meat right into your mouth… anyway you eat it I promise you’ll love it! 5 smart points per serving on WW freestyle.
- 3.5-4 pound pork shoulder
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1/2 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 Tbsp thyme
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 1/2 cup fresh squeezed orange juice about 2 oranges
- Turn your slow cooker to high
- In a small bowl mix together your oregano, cumin, thyme, chili powder and onion powder.
- Brush your pork shoulder with the oil, sprinkle salt & pepper onto pork and then rub on your seasoning mixture so it covers all areas of pork.
- Place pork in your slow cooker fat cap facing up (you don't need to trim of the fat it will fall off when your pork is cooked)
- Add in diced garlic and fresh squeezed orange juice, cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 8-10 hours.
- Remove pork shoulder from slow cooker, remove fat and then shred the pork using a fork. Place shredded pork back into the slow cooker and mix with the liquid that is in the slow cooker.
- Pork is ready to be served, will yield about 10- 3 oz servings.
- You can use small tortillas to make wraps, add a little cheese, ranch or aioli and some fresh cilantro, or use pork to top rice, nachos or whatever you wish. The pork will freeze well.
Smart Points- 5 using WW App
Points Plus- 5 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per 3 oz cooked pork .. Calories 200...Fat 14g..Sat fat 4g...Carbs 0g...Fiber 0g...Sugars 0g...Protein 20g