I love the holiday season and all that comes with it, especially baking up Christmas cookies, shortbread is my all-time favorite! These pecan pie thumbprint shortbread cookies are delicious. I swapped out a few ingredients to lighten them up a little but I feel shortbread is one of those recipes you should not mess with too much 😉 I stick with the motto of enjoying a little of my favorite things and then move on, don’t ever restrict the things you love to eat the most because chances are you will end up sabotaging yourself. These cookies are simple to make just be sure to leave enough time for the dough to chill in the fridge for an hour. Recipe makes 36 cookies at 3SP each on all 3 MyWW programs.
Pecan pie thumbprint shortbread cookies
- 3/4 cup light reduced fat butter, softened * I use one here in Canada by Gay Lea
- 1/4 unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sugar substitute *such as stevia
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- FOR THE FILLING
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 Tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- In a bowl beat together the butter, apple sauce, sugar, stevia and vanilla. Slowly mix in the flour on low speed.
- Shape the dough into a ball, wrap in saran wrap and refriderate for an hour *If dough feels too sticky you can add in a little more flour
- Preheat oven to 350F, line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper (I also used a little cooking spray)
- Roll dough into 1 inch balls and place on cookie sheet, using finger press down into balls to form a small indent in cookie.
- In a small bowl mix together the ingredinets for the filling, brown sugar, apple sauce, honey and chopped pecans. Place approx 1 tsp into each cookie indent.
- Bake in oven for 16 minutes or until cookies are a golden brown.
- Makes 36 cookies, store in a sealed container, these cookies should freeze ok.
- Note* If you do not want to use the artificial sugar/sweetner you can use 2/3 cup of regular sugar and these cookies will still be 3SP each