My daughter, likely the pickiest eater out there has found a new found love for potato soup after trying it at a restaurant we were at, she is 14 and up to now has never, that’s right never had soup.. I was so excited she liked it and knew I had to create my own recipe for it.. Usually I like to keep my soups as low point as I can get them and in a perfect weight watcher world potatoes would be a “free” vegetable and this soup would be low like my others, but… I promise this loaded baked potato soup is worth all 6 freestyle points per serving.. and it is very filling too! Some things are just worth spending the points on and my daughter gave it two thumbs up!! 🙂
Loaded baked potato soup
- 3 large russet potatoes peeled and diced small (about 4.5 cups)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove diced
- 2 Tbsp light butter
- 2 Tbsp flour
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 3 Tbsp light cream cheese
- 3 Tbsp light sour cream
- 6 slices low point bacon I use center cut, 4SP for 6 slices cooked and crumbled
- Diced green onion & shredded cheese for topping optional
- Cook and drain your bacon and set aside.
- Peel and cut your potatoes into small pieces (at least 1 inch cubes or smaller)
- Set crock pot to high, add your broth, potatoes and garlic, cook for 2.5 hours.
- In a small pan on stove top melt your butter over med-low heat, whisk in your flour then slowly whisk in your milk, stirring often.. Add cream cheese and sour cream and stir often till you have a nice thick cream. Pour into your crock pot and stir well.
- Take about 2 cups of your potatoes out of the crock pot and blend in blender, add creamed potatoes back to your soup and stir well, add in your crumbled bacon.
- Cook on high for at least one more hour. Potato pieces still in soup should be cooked right through.
- Serve warm, makes 8- 1 cup servings at 6 SP blue & green, 4SP purple (5 points plus- old WW program)
- Nutritional info per serving .. Calories 189...Fat 4.7g...Sat fat 2.4g...Carbs 27g...Fiber 1.8g...Sugars 3.9g...Protein 8.3g
- Store left over soup in fridge or freeze.