Soups and stews have my heart over the winter! Here in Ontario, Canada we see some pretty cold temps over the winter and there’s nothing quite like warming up with a hearty bowl of soup for lunch or dinner. My chicken potato & corn chowder is full of so much goodness and easy to make, just pop everything in the crockpot and you are good to go! Makes 8- 1 cup servings that range in points from 1-5 depending on your 0PP foods. This soup is great for meal prep as it freezes well.
Tips and suggestions…
Feel free to change up the vegetables, you can add peppers, zucchini, mushrooms. If you can’t find the cream of chicken soup, any cream soup will work, mushroom, celery, or potato. Just keep the measurement the same, 284ml.
I typically use white potatoes or yukon gold, however any potato can be used in the chowder. Frozen or canned corn can be used, if you are using canned corn be sure to drain it first.
As mentioned in the recipe I like to cook chicken breasts in the crockpot, I’ll use 4-5 large boneless skinless chicken breast, add 1-2 cups of chicken broth and cook on high for 3-4 hours. The chicken will shred nicely and it stores well in the fridge for up to 3 days so it is great to use for different recipes. You can also freeze the chicken once you have cooked and shredded it and stock the freezer for easy prepped meals in the future. You could use a store-bought rotisserie chicken if you are short on time.
Store the chowder in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. It will freeze well, to re-heat from frozen let thaw, and then heat up in a pan on the stove over medium heat, if the soup is very thick you can add in a little water or broth to thin it out.
Potato corn & chicken chowder
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 2 cups potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 cup carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 4 cups frozen corn
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 can low fat Campbell's cream of chicken soup, 284ml
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- To cook the chicken I usually do this in the crockpot, add chicken breasts with some chicken broth, and cook on high for 3-4 hours, I like doing this weekly so I always have shredded chicken in the fridge. After 3-4 hours it should shred nicely with a couple of forks.
- Peel and chop the potatoes and carrots. Dice the celery and red onion.
- Add all of the vegetables, potatoes, and chicken to the crockpot. Pour in the broth and soup, then stir in the seasoning. Mix well, cook on high for 3-4 hours or low for 7-8 hours.
- When there is about 30 minutes left on the cooking time, use a potato hand masher and lightly mash the potatoes while they are in the crockpot, this will help give it a creamier texture. Makes 8- 1 cup servings.