I love onions, like seriously love them! I have been thinking about creating a french onion soup recipe (which is still on my list) but with the weight watcher freestyle program I am always thinking of meals I can make that will stay nice and low in points. That’s when this french onion chicken recipe hit me and let me tell you, it is AMAZING! So filling and full of flavor, best part is it’s just 2 freestyle smart points per serving… win!!
French onion chicken
- 4 cups peeled and chopped onions I used red onion because it's my favorite
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 cup plus 3 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 tsp thyme
- 2 cloves of garlic diced
- 1.5 Tbsp flour
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 4- 6 oz chicken breast if following freestyle they can be larger
- 2/3 cup light gouda shredded cheese 77 grams
- Heat your olive oil in a large frying pan over medium-low heat, add in your chopped onions and 3 Tbsp of chicken broth. Let onions cook for 45 minutes stirring often.
- When onions are close to being finished you can sear your chicken in a separate frying pan, season breasts with a little salt & pepper, use a little cooking spray and cook 5 minutes on each side over medium heat, set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- When onions are cooked add in thyme and garlic. Add in flour and mix well. Stir in 1/2 cup of your chicken broth and cook for 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining chicken broth, vinegar and mustard, bring to a boil, the sauce should thicken at this point.
- Place your chicken in a sprayed casserole dish, top with your onion mixture and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove and add your shredded gouda cheese (can substitute for another cheese if you wish)
- Turn oven to broil and broil for 5 minutes until cheese is melted.
- Serve immediately, makes 4 servings. Can be frozen.