OMG, 2 more days til I move… and needless to say my life (and kitchen) is turned upside down right now! Thank heavens for friends who love to be creative in the kitchen. I already shared one guest post with the delicious BLT egg mug..so here is another… the lovely Karen @themrskray was probably one of the very first few accounts I followed on instagram, I remember going to her page and thinking wow what beautiful pictures..and her page continues to look beautiful! Karen runs the blog my skinny sweet tooth and she has some amazing recipes there, all which are weight watcher friendly! You can also follow Karen on Facebook and Pinterest .. Thank you for sharing your recipe for all to enjoy… I will leave this in Karen’s hands now… 🙂
I often ask myself, “How can something so simple be so gosh darn delicious?”
Well, if you live around or shop at a Kroger, then you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about. In their deli, they have a chicken salad that is just out-of-this-world. It’s sweet, creamy, crunchy, tangy … all things that make up a fantastic chicken salad. Several people at work bring it by the tubs and have it for lunch. It’s that awesome. Yep, it’s the …
Derby City Chicken Salad.
Of course, I had to put my spin on it and try to make it healthier and lower in points. Not only did I succeed, but the flavors are ON POINT! I love this lightened-up version and don’t think I’ll need to make a Kroger run anytime soon.
- 2 large chicken breast, cooked**, shredded*** (about 14oz)
- ¾C + 2Tbsp nonfat greek yogurt
- 2Tbsp mayo
- 1 scallion/green onion, chopped
- ½Cup apple, diced (I use granny smith … could also use celery)
- 1Cup grapes, halved
- ¼Cup (30g) walnuts, chopped or pieces.
- salt & pepper to taste.
- *you could omit the mayo for a 1pp difference per serving, but I love the flavor it adds.
- **Preheat the oven to 385°F. Take two sheets of parchment paper and place a chicken breast onto each piece. Add salt and pepper. Bring up the long ends of parchment and roll down. Then, fold in the two sides and tuck under the bottom. Place onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 min. Turn off the heat and let them sit in the oven for 10 minutes. Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- ***To get the texture of the original derby chicken chicken salad, place cooked chicken breast into the bowl of a stand mixer with a paddle attachment. Turn on medium and you’ll have perfectly shredded chicken in seconds!
- • In the mixing bowl with the shredded chicken, add the greek yogurt and mayo. Turn on low and mix until incorporated.
- • Add salt and pepper to taste.
- • Using a spatula or spoon, gently mix in the apples, grapes, walnuts and scallions until everything is combined.
- • Store in the fridge for 4-6 hours so all the flavors can marry and become awesome.
- • Enjoy on a croissant, sliced apples, triscuit crackers, baked potato, or as is! Oh, the possibilities! Makes 6 servings at 2 SP freestyle, 4sp or 5pp each, each serving approx 5.5oz