Every summer BBQ should include this dish, a simple and delicious broccoli salad. I've lightened it up just slightly without taking away any flavors. I love bacon in my broccoli salad but if you need to make it vegetarian you can easily leave it out. This salad is always a hit at any BBQ or cookout event, I find it's one of the first dishes to go. The recipe makes 8- 1 cup servings, 164 calories, and 5PP if following WW.
- Red onion
- Almond slices
- Shredded cheese
- Greek yogurt
- Salt & pepper
Tips and suggestions
I would suggest using fresh broccoli for this salad, frozen broccoli can have a lot of water in it, and once dethawed it may make the salad too watery.
If you are following WW and looking to keep the points low you can use the packaged crumbled bacon bits, they are more point friendly than bacon strips.
I loved red onion and typically use it in all my recipes that I use onions however, any onion will work in this salad, sweet onion would be nice too.
Any chopped nut will work well in this salad if you don't have almond slices in the cupboard. Chop up some almonds, walnuts, and pecans, they will all be just as tasty.
If you have a nut allergy you can leave out the almonds, maybe add in some raisins instead.
Cheddar cheese works well in this salad but feel free to use any shredded cheese you wish.
This salad can be prepped the night before, it is best not to add in the dressing until you are ready to serve or about an hour before.
Leftovers should be stored in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3-4 days.
- 6 cups fresh broccoli, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- ½ cup dried cranberries
- ⅓ cup almond slices
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- ½ cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- ½ cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- ½ cup plain non-fat greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- ½ teaspoon each of salt & pepper
- In a small bowl mix together all of the dressing ingredients, and let chill in the fridge.
- Cook the bacon, drain fat and crumble it into small pieces.
- Wash and cut the broccoli into small bite-size pieces, add it to a large bowl.
- Mix in the diced onion, cranberries, almonds, bacon and cheese, then stir well. *Note- if the cranberries are large you can cut them in half so they spread out into the salad more.
- Pour the dressing over the broccoli mixture and mix well. Serve immediately or chill in the fridge until it is ready to be served. The recipe makes 8- 1 cup servings.