I think carrot cake is one of those foods that people think they might be eating the healthier option when selecting it, but you might be surprised to know that there can be just as many points in a slice of carrot cake as there are in a regular cupcake. I was asked by a facebook friend/follower if I could try and create a low point version, so I set out to do so. I was pretty happy with the end result, this is a moist carrot cake bar, due to the ingredients used to keep it low points you wont end up with a fluffy cake and I know that texture is not for everyone, I found them simply scrumptious..and the cream cheese frosting was a nice way to finish them off! The recipe makes 9 large bars at 4 freestyle smart points each.
Carrot cake bars with cream cheese icing
- 1-100 g container of greek 0% yogurt I used vanilla but plain is fine and my yogurt is 2sp
- ⅓ cup almond milk
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- ½ tablespoon oil such as canola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup + 2Tbsp white flour
- 3 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1.5 cups shredded carrots
- 2 tablespoon chopped nuts I used pecans optional
- ¼ cup light cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup icing sugar confectionery sugar
- ½ tablespoon reduced calorie margarine
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a 9 inch baking dish.
- Using a food processor shred your carrots.
- In a large bowl combine your egg, egg white, yogurt and milk. Mix well and then stir in your oil and vanilla. Mix in your sugar, flour, spices, baking powder and soda and mix well.
- Fold in your carrots and nuts.
- Pour out into your baking dish using a spatula to get all batter into dish.
- Bake in oven for 40 minutes, let cool completely. Cake will settle once out of oven.
- Cream together all of your icing ingredients and let chill in fridge for at least 30 minutes.
- Once bars are cooled, cut into 9 and top with chilled incing. Store in sealed container in the fridge. Makes 9 large bars at 4 freestyle sp or 3pp each *Note, these are a denser carrot cake bar and not a fluffy cake like bar.
- Nutritional info (not incl carrots) per bar Calories 123.. Fat 3.4g..Saturated fat 0.8g.. Carbs 20g...Fiber 0.5g..Sugars 7.9g... Protein 4.2g