Let’s talk about soup for a minute because I just love soup! I will eat it all year long but let’s face it, there is nothing quite like a warm bowl of soup on a chilly fall/winter day.
Even better, how about a delicious buffalo chicken soup on cool days to make everything seem right in this world. This recipe might just be my new favorite and I’m excited about all the portions I stocked up in the freezer.
It is easy to make and to my fellow buffalo chicken lovers this one sure does have a kick to it, but if you like less spicy just sprinkle in less Franks hot sauce. I used my zero-point ranch dressing recipe to keep the points low, making 12 servings at just 1 smart point each on Weight Watchers freestyle.
Why you need to try this Weight Watchers Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Buffalo-style flavored chicken is absolutely addicting and provides a nice warm and filling flavor that works splendidly on cold days.
- Prep time for the entire meal is only 10 minutes and all it takes is chopping a few simple ingredients and setting your crockpot or stock pot.
- Cooking for the family or large group, no problem. This recipe is for 12 people and super easy to double (or triple) the recipe if needed.
- This delightful soup is only 1-2 personal points so you can add a little more to
Ingredients in the Buffalo Chicken Soup
- 1 cup of diced celery (about 1 stick)
- 1 cup diced carrots (about 2 medium carrots)
- 1/2 cup diced onions (Half a red onion)
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 7 cups chicken broth
- Franks Hot Sauce
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 16 oz of chicken breast
- 1/2 cup of ranch dressing
- 2 oz of light cream cheese
- Shredded mozzarella
- Green onion (optional)
Step-by-step instructions for Buffalo Chicken Soup
- Turn the crockpot to high and add your chicken broth, veggies, garlic, tomato paste, hot sauce, and salt & pepper. Then stir well and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add in your ranch, cheese, and chicken then stir well. Let cook for 1 more hour and stir to melt cream cheese into soup.
- Serve warm, making 12- 1 cup servings. Store in the fridge or freeze for later use if you have extras.
*Note- you can make this soup on the stovetop as well, over medium heat, the cooking time will be a lot less, likely approx 1 hour for the carrots/celery then 30 minutes once you add the chicken/cheese.
Other recipes to try if you like the Buffalo Chicken Soup
Buffalo chicken soup
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1/3 cup Franks hot sauce *if you want spicier you can add more to taste later on
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 4 cups 16oz cooked shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup of ranch dressing *I used my zero point dressing
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- Green onion to garnish *optional
- Turn crockpot to high and add your chicken broth, veggies, garlic, tomato paste, hot sauce and salt & pepper, stir well and cook on high for 3 hours.
- Add in your ranch, cheese and chicken and stir well. Let cook 1 more hour and stir to melt cream cheese into soup.
- Serve warm, makes 12- 1 cup servings. Store in fridge or freeze.
- *Note- you can make this soup on the stovetop as well, over medium heat, the cooking time will be a lot less, likely approx 1 hour for the carrots/celery then 30 minutes once you add the chicken/cheese.
Smart Points- (green) 2 using SP calculator
Points Plus- 2 using PP calculator
Nutritional info (incl all ingredients) Calories.. 103...Fat 2.6g...Sat fat 0.6g...Carbs 4g...Fiber 0.7g...Sugar 1.9g...Protein 15.2g using My Fitness Pal
When do you add the hot sauce?
Sorry step 1, I just updated
This soup is absolutely delicious! I added a can of puréed cannellini beans to thicken it a bit and kept the freestyle points the same! Thank you Kate for a great recipe!
You are very welcome, so glad you enjoyed it and thanks for the tip with the beans 🙂
I made this yesterday. I’m usually not a big soup fan, but, I really loved this one! I used the zero point ranch dressing, cooked it in my slow cooker, and followed the recipe directions exactly. It turned out perfectly with a nice little “kick” to it. It was a huge hit with our sons and their wives – there was none left over! I will definitely make this again!!
Hi Karen, I am so happy to hear you all enjoyed it, it is a keeper in this house too!
Would it be possible to cook the chicken in with the broth in the slow cooker?
Hi Blair, I prefer to add the chicken cooked but you could probably cook it in with the broth and veggies
I am not a fan of ranch. Any suggestions for a substitute? Or do you think it would be ok to just omit the ranch?
You could leave it out or use plain greek yogurt or blue cheese dressing
Made this last night and had it for lunch at work today… yet another recipe from you that is delicious! Definitely a keep, and definitely one I’d make again.
Hi Crystal, so glad you enjoyed the soup, I just took some out of my freezer to enjoy later 🙂
Made this on the weekend….so good!! It will be going into the rotation for sure! Nice little bit of heat without being overbearing. Perfect buffalo chicken taste! Reheats great too!
Yay, so glad you enjoyed it Sherry, it’s easily becoming one of my favorite soups 🙂
Approximately how much is a serving??
As mentioned in recipe a serving is 1 cup
Could you use hidden valley ranch dressing packet? Not sure how many points those are though.
Hi Leigh, yeah I think that would work, I’m not too sure on the points either but I don’t imagine many
Just wondering what kind/brand of chicken broth you used!? 🙂
Hi, I usually but either Campbells or no name, depending if one is on sale 😉
Hi love the soup! I added a can of corn and was a yummy addition. I divided mine into 6 servings but I’m wondering about the points… says here 2 sp per cup but when I calculated 1/12 of a cup of cheese (that should work out to the servings in my six bowls) and the light cream cheese divided by 6 I just got 2 points for 2 cups…. am I missing something?
Thanks so much!
Hi Krista, here is a break down of my points (from my App) 1SP point for the 6 cups broth, 5SP for the light cream cheese, 1SP for the tomato paste, 2SP for the cheese (I used trader joes reduced fat) my app has 1 serving at 1SP which is what I have listed in the recipe (for freestyle that is) so 2 cups would be 2SP .. you might have looked at the old SP value which I still list after the freestyle value
If I wanted to make this in an instant pot, how long would I put it in for?
Hi, sorry I don’t have an instant pot so I am not too sure, I only know how I made it, maybe google some soup recipes in instant pots to get an idea
Instead of ranch dressing, could I use a ranch seasoning packet? I haven’t been a fan of fat free and light ranch dressings…they taste too bitter to me. But I was curious if just a seasoning packet wouldn’t provide enough “thickness” to the soup….
Hi Amy, yeah it is hard to say, I think it will still be ok, I’d say give it a go 🙂 feel free to share if you do
I made this soup on my instant pot yesterday and I am blown away with how good it is! Added all ingredients except cream cheese and shredded cheese and set to manual pressure for 20 minutes with a quick release. Added cream cheese and cheese after and it was perfect! Just thought I would comment for all of the IP lovers out there 🙂 thanks for the awesome recipe!
Hi Meagan, yay so glad you enjoyed it and thanks for sharing the IP method, I don’t own one so that is perfect for those that do, I appreciate it 🙂
I’m from Buffalo! This soup is great!!! Making it again today!
I’m so glad you enjoyed the soup Donna 🙂
This soup has so much flavor for so little points! Comforting and filling. I’ve made this several times, stovetop, and it turns out perfectly every time. I’ve even frozen some to enjoy again at a later date. Love it, thank you!