Well, I officially had to turn my furnace on this weekend, it went down to 4C at night and I woke up to the house at 17C (62.6F for my American friends) anything below 18 and that furnace is coming on! This chilly weather has me thinking about how nice it is to warm up with a big bowl of soup. This broccoli & cauliflower cheddar soup is creamy and delicious. It is simple to make and freezes great which is perfect for easily prepped lunches. Makes 11 cups at 4 points per serving on WW.
- Salt & pepper
- Dried oregano
- Onion powder
- Chicken broth
- Half & half cream
- Shredded cheddar cheese
Tips & suggestions…
I used reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese for this soup, you can use any cheese you like, a 3 blend or mozzarella, they will all taste equally delicious!
To keep points low I used the light 5% half & half, you could use milk, regular or almond/cashew, it might be a little less creamy than if you were to use the cream.
I used regular butter, to try and lower the points you could look for a light butter or use light margarine.
Feel free to throw in a few extra spices of your choice, you really can’t go wrong with this soup, it is delicious as is but if you like your spices then add them to suit you.
Storing and re-heating…
The soup can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for up to 3 days. To reheat from the fridge, place in a pan on the stovetop over medium heat, you might want to add a little water or milk if it is too thick from settling.
This soup freezes very well, to reheat make sure you let the soup dethaw then heat the same as above.
Broccoli & cauliflower cheddar soup
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 2 heads broccoli, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup red onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp butter
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup half & half cream *I used the light 5%
- 1.5 cups reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Prep the vegetables, cutting both the cauliflower and broccoli into small pieces.
- In a large dutch oven or pot, add butter and place over medium-high heat. When the butter has melted, add in garlic & onion, Sauté for 5 minutes stirring often.
- Stir in the flour, then slowly stir in the broth. Next add in the cream, chopped cauliflower, and broccoli, salt, black pepper, onion powder, and oregano. Cook over medium heat for about 25 minutes until broccoli and cauliflower are tender.
- Stir in the cheese and reduce heat to low, cooking for another 10 minutes.
- You can use an immersion blender or add the soup in sections to a regular blender and blend until creamy. The recipe makes approximately 11 cups.