I wanted a sweet muffin and I get asked a lot if I can come up with some muffin and loaf recipes that don’t use banana as an ingredient. I personally love bananas and they do make a great substitute in baking when trying to keep points low but I can respect that they are not for everyone, so here is a delicious “banana free” sweet muffin! These blueberry lemon crumble muffins are so yummy and the sugar crumble on top is perfect for that sweet craving that might come on, makes 12 regular size muffins for just 3 freestyle smart points each.
Blueberry lemon crumble muffins
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup egg whites I use from the carton
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1/3 cup milk I used 1%
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp lemon zest
- 1 1/3 cup flour
- 1 cup frozen wild blueberries smaller ones you can use fresh I would just try not to use large ones
- FOR THE SUGAR CRUMBLE
- 2 Tbsp sugar
- 2.5 Tbsp flour
- 3/4 Tbsp melted reduced fat margarine
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular 12 hole muffin pan with some cooking spray (I never use liners)
- In a bowl whisk together your egg, egg whites and brown sugar.
- Mix in your apple sauce, lemon juice, milk and vanilla.
- Stir in your flour, lemon zest, baking powder and soda and mix well.
- Gently fold in your blueberries, and divide batter over your 12 muffin cups.
- In a small bowl mix your flour and sugar together for your crumble topping, add in your melted margarine and use a fork mixing it to form a crumble, sprinkle over your 12 muffins.
- Bake in oven for 24 minutes.
- Let cool before removing from muffin tin, use a knife around the edges. Muffins best stored in fridge after day 1, they will freeze well. Makes 12 muffins at 3 personal points or 3 freestyle smart points each on all 3 MyWW programs (2 points plus)
- Nutritional info (not incl blueberries) Calories 84...Fat 1.4g...Sat fat 0.3g...Carbs 14.7g...Fiber 0.5g...Sugars 4.6g...Protein 2.8g