I love simple pasta meals, this turkey sausage penne in a creamy tomato sauce was a huge hit in my house. It could easily be a one-pot dish and it is so simple to make. The creamy cheesy tomato sauce has a wonderful flavor and it makes for a nice hearty meal the whole family can enjoy. Feel free to swap out the turkey sausages for chicken sausages, they both are usually similar in points, for reference my turkey links were 3SP each, pork sausages would also be a great addition if you are not too worried about the points increasing. Makes 6- heaping 1 cup servings, 7SP on both blue & green programs, 4SP on purple when using whole wheat pasta.
Turkey sausage penne in a creamy tomato sauce
- 4 turkey sausages
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 3 cups penne pasta measured uncooked, about 300g
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook the sausages first, in a pan over medium heat on the stove with a little cooking spray, once cooked slice them up. Slices should be about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat on the stove, add a little cooking spray and the sliced sausages with the diced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the 14oz can of crushed tomatoes, then stir in the chicken broth followed by all seasonings. Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to a medium-low and add the pasta, partially cover with a lid and cook until the pasta is cooked, the sauce should thicken as the pasta is cooking.
- Once pasta is cooked stir in the cream cheese until it melts and blends in, then stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately, makes 6- heaping 1 cup servings. This pasta dish will freeze well.