I love simple pasta meals, this turkey sausage penne in a creamy tomato sauce was a huge hit in my house. It could easily be a one-pot dish and it is so simple to make. The creamy cheesy tomato sauce has a wonderful flavor and it makes for a nice hearty meal the whole family can enjoy. Feel free to swap out the turkey sausages for chicken sausages, they both are usually similar in points, for reference my turkey links were 3SP each, pork sausages would also be a great addition if you are not too worried about the points increasing. Makes 6- heaping 1 cup servings, 7SP on both blue & green programs, 4SP on purple when using whole wheat pasta.
Turkey sausage penne in a creamy tomato sauce
4-7PP, 7SP blue/green, 4SP purple *when using whole wheat pasta..
- 4 turkey sausages
- 2 garlic cloves diced
- 14 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cajun seasoning
- 2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 2.5 cups chicken broth
- 2 oz light cream cheese
- 3 cups penne pasta measured uncooked, about 300g
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded parmesan cheese
- Cook the sausages first, in a pan over medium heat on the stove with a little cooking spray, once cooked slice them up. Slices should be about 1/4 - 1/2 inch.
- Heat a large pot over medium heat on the stove, add a little cooking spray and the sliced sausages with the diced garlic and cook for a few minutes.
- Add the 14oz can of crushed tomatoes, then stir in the chicken broth followed by all seasonings. Bring to a slight boil then reduce heat to a medium-low and add the pasta, partially cover with a lid and cook until the pasta is cooked, the sauce should thicken as the pasta is cooking.
- Once pasta is cooked stir in the cream cheese until it melts and blends in, then stir in the parmesan cheese.
- Serve immediately, makes 6- heaping 1 cup servings. This pasta dish will freeze well.
Personal Points- 4-7 depending on your 0PP foods Smart points- blue/green- 7 using WW recipe builder Smart points- purple- 4 using WW recipe builder Points plus- 6 using PP calculator Nutritional info per serving... calories 245...Fat 7g..Sat fat 1.5g...Crabs 26.8g...Fiber 1.2g...Sugar 3.9g...Protein 14.9g *Note- includes all ingredients
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!
This was delicious! I added a can of fire roasted diced tomatoes. Definitely going to make this again!
Hi Krissy, yay, so glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Goodness!! This was fabulous!! Thanks for all the work you do and for sharing. This will go into the recipe box for sure.
I am so glad you enjoyed it Stacey 🙂
I’m trying to watch my carbs. Do you think I could make it all but swap the pasta for spaghetti squash?
I don’t see why not, it might be a bit more “sloppy” so to speak with spaghetti squash not being as firm as penne
This was very good. Thank you
So glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Sound tasty! Regular penne though for these point values? Not whole wheat or some other variety?
Hi Michelle, the points listed are for regular penne for blue/green, the purple points are based on using whole wheat pasta as it is a 0SP food on purple
I loved this!! My husband and I were fighting over leftovers. I didn’t have cream cheese on hand, so I swapped fat free half and half. I added some cooking time and it worked out perfect. Thank you!
Hi Hilary, haha I love that you were fighting for it..who won?? Thanks for the tip in case anyone else needs a replacement 🙂
I very seldom, if ever, comment on anything., but this is so good, a restaurant quality. I had to adjust everything since I could only find a 28 oz can of tomatoes but this recipe makes it easy to do that. It’s a 5+ star if there is one. Thank you very much. By the way it taste very close to a vodka sauce.
Thanks so much for the great feedback, I am so glad you enjoyed it 🙂
Delicious and perfectly seasoned! I didn’t have Cajun seasoning in the pantry, so I added some chili powder, garlic powder, paprika, and a pinch of cayenne pepper and it worked wonders!
Oh that sounds delicious, so glad you enjoyed it 🙂