Growing up as a kid one of my favorite meals was shepherds pie, my mum made it simple and delicious and I looked so forward to it, we often had it for Sunday dinner and I think that’s why I always crave just good ole comfort food on Sundays. I wanted to play around with the recipe a little and make it freestyle friendly. This tex mex pie is so tasty and such a great twist on a classic. Makes 6 generous servings at 4 freestyle smart points each, the dish freezes well too so it is great for meal prep.
Tex mex turkey shepherds pie
- 1 lb fat free ground turkey raw
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 medium potatoes peeled, cut and boiled
- 2 Tbsp non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp light butter I use Gay Lea light
- Pinch of garlic salt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella I used Trader Joe's brand
- Boil your potatoes over high heat until soft, approx 30 minutes
- In a large pan brown your ground turkey with the onions and peppers, once turkey is cooked add in spices, salsa and corn and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9x13 dish with some cooking spray.
- Mash your boiled potatoes with the yogurt, butter, garlic and a dash of salt & pepper
- Spread your meat mixture into bottom of dish then top with mashed potatoes making sure to cover completely.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, remove from oven, set to broil and sprinkle cheese on top, place under broil for 3-4 minutes to melt cheese, watch it does not burn, mine got a little toasty.
- Makes 6 servings, each serving approx 7.5 oz, will freeze well.
Smart Points- (green) 5 using WW recipe builder
Smart Points- (purple) 1 using WW recipe builder
Points Plus- 5 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 205...Fat 4g...Sat Fat 0.8g...Carbs 18.9g...Fiber 1.7g...Sugar 1.3g...Protein 21.5g using My Fitness Pal (these numbers included all veggies so if using them in your WW calculator you might get a higher point value)