Growing up as a kid one of my favorite meals was shepherds pie, my mum made it simple and delicious and I looked so forward to it, we often had it for Sunday dinner and I think that’s why I always crave just good ole comfort food on Sundays. I wanted to play around with the recipe a little and make it freestyle friendly. This tex mex pie is so tasty and such a great twist on a classic. Makes 6 generous servings at 4 freestyle smart points each, the dish freezes well too so it is great for meal prep.
Tex mex turkey shepherds pie
- 1 lb fat free ground turkey raw
- 3/4 cup diced red onion
- 3/4 cup diced green pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 medium potatoes peeled, cut and boiled
- 2 Tbsp non fat plain greek yogurt
- 1 Tbsp light butter I use Gay Lea light
- Pinch of garlic salt
- 1/2 cup reduced fat shredded mozzarella I used Trader Joe's brand
- Boil your potatoes over high heat until soft, approx 30 minutes
- In a large pan brown your ground turkey with the onions and peppers, once turkey is cooked add in spices, salsa and corn and cook on low for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375F and spray a 9x13 dish with some cooking spray.
- Mash your boiled potatoes with the yogurt, butter, garlic and a dash of salt & pepper
- Spread your meat mixture into bottom of dish then top with mashed potatoes making sure to cover completely.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, remove from oven, set to broil and sprinkle cheese on top, place under broil for 3-4 minutes to melt cheese, watch it does not burn, mine got a little toasty.
- Makes 6 servings, each serving approx 7.5 oz, will freeze well.