Make-ahead breakfast sandwiches are such a lifesaver on those busy mornings, it's great to grab a wrapped sandwich out of the freezer the night before and know that breakfast is served! My spinach & feta english muffin sandwiches are simple to make and so tasty. You can easily add in some extra veggies or even some meat if you are looking to add in more protein. Having these wrapped and ready to go in your freezer will help with those hectic mornings, at least you can cross making breakfast off your list! The recipe makes 9 sandwiches, 1 point on WW, and just 94 calories, these numbers do not include the english muffin, they can vary in points/calories so you can add in that information based on the brand you buy.
- Olive oil
- Fresh spinach
- Crumbled feta
- Salt & pepper
- English muffins
Tips & suggestions...
You can use egg whites in this recipe if you'd rather not use whole eggs, you will need approximately 1.5-2 cups of egg whites.
Feel like bulking it up with some extra veggies, throw in some mushrooms & peppers.
Fresh herbs are also a great addition to these sandwiches, add in your favorite one.
If you like a little spice, add some Franks hot sauce or tabasco to the egg mixture, or try a pinch of cayenne pepper.
If you want to toast the english muffins before making and freezing the sandwiches that is fine.
I like adding a fresh cheese slice after I have dethawed them from the freezer, and a little butter or mayonnaise. The cheese can be added before you freeze them if you wish.
Make sure you dethaw the sandwiches before reheating, pop them in the microwave (be sure to remove the foil) for 45 seconds or you can use the toaster oven, 350F for about 10 minutes.
Spinach & feta breakfast sandwich
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 5 oz chopped fresh spinach *about 2 cups
- ½ cup diced red onion
- 8 eggs
- ¼ cup milk *I used 1%
- ½ cup crumbled light feta cheese
- ½ teaspoon each salt & pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- english muffins
- Preheat the oven to 375F, spray a 9x9 baking dish with some cooking spray, spray it well so the egg mixture does not stick.
- Heat up a skillet over medium-low heat, add in the olive oil. Once hot, add the chopped onions and cook for 2-3 minutes. Add in the spinach and stir, cook until the spinach is wilted, about 2 minutes. Remove from the stove and let cool.
- In a bowl whisk the eggs, add in the milk, salt, pepper, and oregano, stir well.
- Add the crumbled feta cheese and the cooled spinach mixture to the eggs and lightly mix to combine it all together.
- Pour the egg mixture evenly into the pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the eggs are set and firm in the middle. Remove and let cool for a few minutes.
- Cut the egg mixture into 9 equal squares or you can cut into circles like I did (for pictures) Place each piece on the english muffin, wrap with foil and freeze.
- They can be frozen for up to 3 months, let thaw before reheating, you can use the microwave, about 45 seconds or you can pop them in the oven/toaster oven, 350F for 10 minutes. *Be sure to remove foil before using the microwave.
- *Note- if adding any butter, mayonnaise or cheese, I like to add this just before I eat them.