This flavorful dish with a little Mexican flair is easy to prepare and sure to be a family hit!
I love one-pot meals, they make everything so simple and that’s what we need because let’s face it life is busy! This one-pot Mexican chicken & rice was amazing, so much flavor and a nice hearty meal… no joke I ate it 3 days straight! This dish only takes about 30 minutes from start to finish and it’s a meal the whole family can enjoy. Makes 6- 1 cup servings at 4 smart points on WW freestyle.
- Ground chicken
- Uncle Ben’s Mexican-style rice
- Taco seasoning
- Rotel chopped tomatoes with green chilies
- Shredded cheese
I have some followers tell me they can’t find the same rice package, if you can’t find this exact one just use something similar, here is a link for the Bistro express one I use in the recipe so you can see the nutritional information. Honestly, any rice will work in the recipe, I chose this one to add a little more flavor.
The Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies add in an extra little spice, but this is definitely not a spicy dish. If you can’t find the Rotel tomatoes, any can of diced tomatoes will work.
I love that this recipe is made in one pot, which makes for an easy clean-up. You can add in extra veggies if you wish to bulk it up. I have had some followers tell me they added in beans and it turned out very well.
I typically use a 3 blend of shredded cheese for a lot of my recipes simply because it is what I keep in my fridge, any shredded cheese will work though if you have a favorite that you buy because it might be lower on calories or WW points then please feel free to use that one.
One Pot Mexican chicken & rice
- 1 lb ground chicken *weighed raw
- 1 package Uncle Ben's bistro express mexican style rice
- 1 package taco seasoning - 35g
- 2 cans 284ml rotel chopped tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 cup diced peppers
- 1/2 cup diced onion *I used red
- 1 cup reduced fat shredded cheese I used a 3 blend
- In a large pot on the stove cook the ground chicken
- Add in the rotel chopped tomatoes, peppers, onion and taco seasoing and mix well.
- Cook the uncle ben's rice in the microwave as directed on package and add to mixture.
- Let cook for 15 minutes over medium heat.
- Top with shredded cheese and leave on the heat until the cheese melts
- Serve immediantly.. makes 6- 1 cup servings, store in the fridge, leftovers will freeze well.
- *Note- feel free to add in extra veggies or beans to bulk it up, if it seems to thick by adding extra ingredients you may want to add a little water.
You can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2-3 days. This dish freezes well and is great to keep stocked in the freezer for easy meal time. To reheat from frozen, let dethaw then you can either heat up in a frying pan over medium heat on the stove or in a casserole dish in the oven, and you can also use the microwave.