Risotto is a classic Italian dish known for its creamy texture and delicious flavor. Traditionally, risotto is made with arborio rice, cream, chicken or vegetable broth, and Parmesan cheese. However, in this recipe, we're going to substitute cream and cheese for pumpkin puree and yogurt to create a lighter and healthier dish.
What is arborio rice?
Arborio rice is a short-grain rice that is ideal for making risotto. This rice has a high starch content, which gives the recipe its creamy texture. If you can't find arborio rice, you can substitute another short-grain rice, such as Carnaroli or Vialone nano.
Why you should try Pumpkin Risotto
This recipe works because the pumpkin puree adds creaminess to the risotto without the need for cream. Plus, the plain, non-fat Greek yogurt gives the dish a slightly tangy flavor that complements it perfectly.
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Serving size: 275 g.
3 WW points per serving
· 1 cup arborio rice
· ½ cup chopped onion
· 1 tablespoon olive oil
· 2 cups pumpkin puree, 400 g.
· 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth, 1 l.
· 1 cup plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
· 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
· Salt and pepper to taste
Instructions for making Pumpkin Risotto
1. In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
2. Begin adding the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly after each addition. Continue adding broth until the rice is cooked through, about 18 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt, pumpkin pure, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
4. Serve immediately.
Variations and substitutions
Pumpkin has a fairly neutral flavor, so it's a very versatile ingredient that can be paired with a wide variety of ingredients. Here are a few ideas for varying the recipe:
· Add mushrooms: Mushrooms are a good complement to the flavor of pumpkin. You can saute them in a little olive oil before adding them to the risotto.
· Add pesto sauce: Pesto sauce gives the risotto an authentic Italian flavor. You can add it to the mixture or use it to garnish the dish.
· Add nuts: Nuts, such as walnuts or almonds, add a crunchy touch to the risotto.
Tips and Tricks For Making Pumpkin Risotto
· Cook the risotto with broth: Broth is essential for making risotto creamy. You can use chicken broth, vegetable broth, or even beef broth.
· Serve the risotto immediately: Risotto is a dish that should be served immediately. If you're not serving it immediately, consider reheating it and adding a little more broth.
· Use arborio rice: Arborio rice is the best type of rice for making risotto. If you can't find it, you can substitute another short-grain rice.
Light and Creamy Pumpkin Risotto
- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups pumpkin pure 400 g.
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth 1 l.
- 1 cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the rice and cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute.
- Begin adding the broth, 1 cup at a time, stirring constantly after each addition. Continue adding broth until the rice is cooked through, about 18 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the Greek yogurt, pumpkin pure, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately.