I think a lot of us grew up on hamburger helper! My homemade version is 1000 times better if you ask me, a delicious meal the whole family can enjoy.
Sometimes I get odd cravings for things like canned alphagetti or hamburger helper..I’ll blame it on growing up in the 70’s haha.. I was really craving hamburger helper one day but I knew I had all the things in to make a homemade version so I saved myself the trip out to the grocery store and the $2 lol and created this delicious dish. It is so simple to make and the whole family can enjoy it. I used ground beef but if you want to save a few points feel free to use ground turkey or chicken. Makes 6 servings at 8 points per serving on WW.
- Ground beef
- Onion powder
- Salt & pepper
- Tomato paste
- Corn starch
- Beef broth
- Shredded cheese
I love using the small shell pasta in this dish, this type of pasta just seems to suit the recipe but any pasta can be used. If you prefer a penne or rotini noodle it will work just as well.
You could also swap out the ground beef for ground chicken or turkey if you are looking to lighten up this dish, if you follow WW and turkey/chicken is a 0PP food for you then it is a great option to swap it out and I promise it is just as delicious.
I love my Stove & Dove cast iron skillet for this dish, I definitely suggest having a good cast iron skillet in your kitchen, some recipes just taste so much better made in one. While a high-quality one is great to have you can still find a low-priced option on Amazon that will work just as well if it fits better in your budget.
I like using cheddar cheese in this recipe, it adds to the overall flavor of the sauce. If you don’t have cheddar in the fridge you can definitely try it with a different kind of shredded cheese.
This recipe should yield 6 heaping 1 cup servings. It pairs well with a salad, I like to serve it with some garlic toast and spoon some onto the toast, so good!
Homemade hamburger helper
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups pasta I used small shells *measured uncooked
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the ground beef in a pan or skillet over medium heat, drain fat and return to pan.
- Add in the tomato paste, all seasonings, garlic and the corn starch, mix well.
- Stir in the broth and milk and then add the pasta, bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover with lid and let simmer for 9-12 minutes, stirring a couple of times..
- Remove from heat and mix in the shredded cheese, cover again for a few minutes to let cheese melt and the sauce thicken.
- Makes 6 heaping 1 cup servings.. *Note- you can swap out the ground beef for turkey/chicken to lower points on blue/purple
You can store leftovers in an air-tight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. This recipe freezes well making it a great option for meal prep.
To reheat from frozen, let dethaw then you can cook it in a pan over medium heat on the stove, use a casserole dish in the oven or you can use the microwave.