Sometimes I get odd cravings for things like canned alphagetti or hamburger helper..I’ll blame it on growing up in the 70’s haha.. I was really craving hamburger helper one day but I knew I had all the things in to make a homemade version so I saved myself the trip out to the grocery store and the $2 lol and created this delicious dish. It is so simple to make and the whole family can enjoy it. I used ground beef but if you want to save a few points feel free to use ground turkey or chicken. Makes 6 servings at 8SP per serving on both blue & green, if you use whole wheat pasta it is 5SP on purple.
Homemade hamburger helper
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1.5 tsp dried thyme
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 garlic cloves (minced)
- 2 Tbsp tomato paste
- 2 Tbsp corn starch
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1.5 cups 2% milk
- 2 cups pasta (I used small shells *measured uncooked)
- 1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the ground beef in a pan or skillet over medium heat, drain fat and return to pan.
- Add in the tomato paste, all seasonings, garlic and the corn starch, mix well.
- Stir in the broth and milk and then add the pasta, bring to a boil then reduce heat, cover with lid and let simmer for 9-12 minutes, stirring a couple of times..
- Remove from heat and mix in the shredded cheese, cover again for a few minutes to let cheese melt and the sauce thicken.
- Makes 6 heaping 1 cup servings.. *Note- you can swap out the ground beef for turkey/chicken to lower points on blue/purple
Smart points- purple- 5 using WW recipe builder
Points plus- 7 using PP calculator
Nutritional info per serving..Calories 280...Fat 9.3g..Sat fat 4.7g...Carbs 28.3g...Fiber 1.3g...Sugar 4.9g...Protein 20.5g using My Fitness pal *includes all ingredients