If you are a fan of my french onion chicken or just a fan of french onion soup I think you will really enjoy this dish. I love pasta as much as the next person but it can be a little point heavy and that’s why I love creating pasta bake recipes. This french onion chicken pasta bake is full of flavor and a nice hearty meal, makes 6 servings at just 5 smart points per serving on WW freestyle.
French onion chicken pasta bake
- 3 cups onions chopped *I used red onion but any is fine
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups pasta *My brand is pictured 2 cups weighed out dry is 16SP
- 2 cups cooked diced chicken approx 10oz
- 1 package onion soup mix my brand is pictured, it was 55g and 6SP
- 1 Tbsp dijon mustard
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Dash of salt & pepper
- 3/4 cup + 3 Tbsp chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded light swiss cheese *any cheese will work my light swiss was 8SP/cup
- *If you have not cooked the chicken yet you will want to do this first, cubed or shredded chicken will work well in this recipe.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan on stove over medium to low heat, chop onions and place in frying pan, add 3 Tbsp of chicken broth and cook on stove til tender, approx 20 minutes, stir often.
- While onions are cooking you can cook the pasta, boil water and cook according to package, then drain the pasta when ready.
- Preheat oven to 350F
- Mix chicken, pasta, onions, onion soup mix, mustard, vinegar, chicken broth, salt & pepper and 1/2 cup of cheese together in a large bowl. Spread out the mixture into a sprayed 9x13 casserole dish
- Cover with foil and bake in the oven for 20 minutes, remove foil, spread remaining 1/2 cup of cheese on top and put back in the oven uncovered for 5 minutes or just enough time for the cheese to melt.
- Makes 6 servings, each serving approx 7oz