I get a lot of requests for recipes, some I can tackle and some I’d rather not. Awhile back I had a facebook follower ask for my attempt at traditional cornbread. I have to admit, I’ve never really eaten cornbread, forgive me if I am wrong but I think it is bigger in the U.S than here in Canada. Now that we are well into fall and all the chili’s and stews are popping up I thought it was a good time to get cracking with some lightened up cornbread. I can’t really compare it because like I mentioned I don’t really eat cornbread, but this my friends was delicious! Not too sweet as I don’t think cornbread is suppose to be and would go perfect with a big bowl of chili! It’s makes 12 decent sized servings, and if you do want to sweeten it up I suggest taking 1 tsp of honey, pop in microwave for 20 seconds and then drizzle over bread, so good! Each serving is just 3 smart points.
- 1 cup yellow corn meal
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 2 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white (I use the carton of liquid egg whites)
- 1.5 Tbsp honey
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- Preheat oven to 375F, spray a 9 inch baking dish with non stick spray.
- In a bowl whisk together your egg, egg whites and brown sugar. Add in honey, apple sauce and milk and mix well.
- Stir in corn meal, flour, baking powder & soda.
- Pour out into dish and bake in oven for approx 25 minutes.
- Let cool 10 minutes then cut into 12 squares. Best stored in sealed container and after day 1 in the fridge.
- Nutritional info per serving.. Calories 108...Fat 0.8g... Sat fat 0.2g...Carbs 22.3g...Fiber 1.6g...Sugars 3.9g...Protein 3.1g