Need a fun and easy Christmas appetizer? This pull-apart Christmas tree cheesy bread is so simple to make and sure to be a hit! You just need a few basic ingredients and this tasty snack can be on your table in no time! This recipe isn't necessarily lightened up but can still easily fit into your day and keep you on track, each serving is 5 points.
Tips & suggestions...
I used Pillsbury reduced fat crescent rolls, most of our local grocery stores here in Ontario carry them. If you can't find those you can use any biscuit dough or even pizza dough would work.
Cheese strings come in several varieties and brands can vary as far as the points go. I used Kraft mozzarella cheese strings, but any will work well.
For the butter I used the Gay Leah light butter spread, it is a little lower in points than regular butter.
You could use garlic spread in replace of the butter if you want a more garlicky flavor and even use minced garlic.
You can make this the night before and bake it the following day, be sure to keep it refrigerated. However, I do feel for best results it would be best made and baked on the same day.
Pull apart Christmas tree cheesy bread
- Preheat oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with some parchment paper.
- Roll out each package of the crescent dough in the shape of a square, cut a small end from each square, this will be to make the star for the top so you don't need much. Then cut each square into 15 small squares so you have 30 pieces in total. They don't need to be exact square shapes, just try to make them the same size.
- Cut each of the 6 cheese sticks into 5 pieces, giving you 30 small pieces.
- Place one of the pieces of cheese into each square of crescent dough and roll into a ball.Build the Christmas tree using the rolled balls of dough on your cookie sheet. When you are done, use the little piece you have from the ends to shape the star for the top and place it so it is attached to the top ball.
- Whisk the egg and add in the milk, use as an egg wash and brush over all of the dough.
- Bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until it is a golden brown color.
- Mix together the melted butter, salt, pepper, and garlic salt and brush over the baked tree, then sprinkle with the parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Serve immediately, each serving is 2 pieces.