I’m all about easy comfort food casseroles, and I have been trying to make some recipes with ground chicken or turkey to keep them freestyle friendly. This sloppy joe bubble up is so easy to make and sure to be a hit with the family. I often get asked “what’s a bubble up”? It is just a term given to these types of casseroles where you use a biscuit dough cut up into pieces and they rise as you bake the dish causing the “bubble up” effect 🙂 This simple meal is just 5 freestyle smart points per serving.
- 1.5lb ground chicken, fat free (weighed raw)
- 1 7.5oz package of biscuit dough, I use great value from Walmart, there are 10 small biscuits in the roll and they come in 4 packs, one pack weighs 7.5oz
- 2 garlic cloves, diced
- ½ cup chopped onions (I used red onion)
- 2 cups reduced fat pasta sauce (mine was 8SP for 2 cups)
- ¼ cup reduced sugar ketchup
- 1.5 Tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- ½ Tbsp mustard
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 2 tsp italian seasoning
- ½ cup reduced fat mozzarella cheese (I used Trader Joe's)
- In a large pan brown your ground chicken using some cooking spray, add in garlic and onions.
- Once chicken has cook stir in your pasta sauce, ketchup, worcestershire sauce, mustard, sugar and seasonings. Let cook on low for 5 minutes.
- Spray a large 9x13 casserole dish with some cooking spray and preheat oven to 350F.
- Cut your 10 small biscuits into 6 pieces for each biscuit, slowly stir them into your chicken & sauce mixture then pour into your casserole dish. Be sure to spread out the biscuits in your dish so you don't have too much in one area.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, remove from the oven, sprinkle with cheese and return to oven for an additional 12 minutes. Makes 6 servings, each serving weighing approx 7.5-8oz. This dish will freeze well.
Smart Points- 7 using SP calculator
Points Plus- 6 using PP calculator
Calories 278...Fat 4.5g..Sat Fat 0.5g..Carbs 26.4g...Fiber 1.6g...Sugar 8.6g...Protein 27.9g using My Fitness Pal