I love a good slice of carrot loaf, especially with cream cheese icing and walnuts, yum! I enjoy challenging myself to create my favorite baked goods into Weight Watcher® friendly treats and this carrot loaf is so good! It is a dense loaf, remember when baking with applesauce, yogurt and even mashed banana you are not going to have a fluffy loaf or muffin that you would when using butter and oils, it did take me a little time to get used to the texture of baked goods when changing up the ingredients and I know it might not be for everyone, but I've come to love it and I'm able to keep my recipes very point friendly. You can make this loaf with or without the icing, but for only 4 smart points I say go for it and include the icing and the walnuts.. only 3 SP if you leave the nuts off.
Carrot loaf with cream cheese icing
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ⅓ cup non fat plain greek yogurt
- ½ cup apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1.5 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup shredded carrots
- FOR THE ICING
- ¼ cup softened light cream cheese
- ¼ cup icing sugar confectionary sugar, white powdered sugar
- ½ tablespoon light butter soft
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Top loaf with ¼ cup chopped walnuts *optional
- Preheat oven to 375F, spray a regular sized loaf pan.
- In a bowl whisk together your eggs and brown sugar
- Stir in yogurt, applesauce and vanilla
- Mix in your flour, baking powder, soda and spices.
- Fold in carrots, I used a food processor for carrots
- Pour batter into loaf pan and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, until baked all through.
- Let cool before removing from pan.
- To make icing mix your cream cheese, icing sugar, butter and vanilla together until creamy, you can do this while loaf is baking and then store in fridge till ready to ice loaf. Spread icing on then sprinkle with walnuts, makes 10 slices.
- *Icing and walnuts are optional, loaf with no icing or nuts is 2SP per serving, just icing is 3SP and icing and nuts is 4SP, also note this is a dense carrot loaf due to ingredients used, it might sink slightly once it has cooled down.
- Store in fridge, loaf will freeze well.
Smart Points- (green) 5 using WW recipe builder
Points plus- 3 using PP calculator
Nutritional info (incl carrots & applesauce) Calories... 140...Fat 3.1g...Sat fat 1.4g...Carbs 22.9g..Fiber 0.7g...Sugar 7.3g...Protein 4.2g using My Fitness Pal *Old SP & PP determined before adding carrots & applesauce, so if using these numbers in a calculator you may get a different point value