I have been playing around more with the famous 2 ingredient dough as I feel the possibilities are endless. I had some shredded chicken in the fridge that needed to be used up and I felt like something spicy for dinner, so these buffalo chicken empanadas were the end result and boy were they tasty! Super easy to make and just 4 smart points on WW freestyle. I used my zero point ranch dressing that you can find here to keep the points low, if you are one of those that must use blue cheese in their buffalo chicken then feel free to swap it out although it will increase the points.
Buffalo chicken empanadas
- 1 cup self raising flour
- 1 cup non fat plain greek yogurt for best results I like to use just under 1 cup
- 1 cup 4oz cooked shredded chicken
- 2 oz light cream cheese softened
- ¼ cup ranch dressing I used my zero point recipe linked above in write up
- 2 tablespoon Frank's hot sauce
- ½ cup reduced fat shredded cheese I used Trader Joe's 3 cheese blend
- Egg whites for brushing
- Little extra flour for dusting
- Preheat oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with some parchment paper and lightly spray with cooking spray.
- First make your 2 ingredient dough, mix your flour with your greek yogurt, for best results I use just a little less yogurt than flour. Knead dough together and shape into 2 balls, then divide those 2 balls into 3 balls each, I weighed mine out and each ball of dough was 2.2oz (so you need 6 balls weighing approx 2.2oz each)
- Now make your filling by mixing together your chicken, cream cheese, ranch, shredded cheese and hot sauce.
- Dust your work surface with a little flour and roll each dough ball out, use a rolling pin if needed, I found it best to use it.
- Scoop about ¼ cup of filling onto your rolled out dough, fold dough over forming a pocket and then use a fork to seal ends shut, also use the fork to poke some holes in the middle of your finished empanada. Repeat with remaining dough balls
- Place empanadas onto the baking sheet and brush with egg whites.
- Bake in the oven for 26 minutes or until golden brown, remove from oven and serve warm.
- These will freeze well, store any leftovers in the fridge.