I saw something similar to these cheesy onion rings pop up on my Facebook one day, although they were deep fried in oil and probably 100 points 😉 I thought to myself, I am sure I can bake these and make them weight watcher friendly.. You only need a few things, and a steady hand.. Ha, you might be cursing me while making them, they can be a little tricky and messy but I promise the end result is a yummy little treat, whip some up for football Sunday! Points will depend on your cheese strings, some people can find the ones that are 1 smart point, in which case these rings will be 1 smart point each, my cheese strings were 2 Sp each so my rings are 2 SP each!
Baked onion cheese rings
- Onion cut into rings (I used red onion)
- Cheese strings cut into 4 pieces each
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs or panko crumbs.
- Preheat oven to 375F, line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Cut your onion up into rings, to make one ring you need two pieces of onion and one has to easily fit inside the other. Cut each cheese string into 4 long pieces.
- Place your smaller ring inside your large one and then use 2 pieces of your cheese string and wrap between the two rings.
- Whisk your egg in a small bowl, and place your flour and bread crumbs onto separate plates.
- Very carefully dip your onion ring into your flour, then your egg and them roll in your crumbs. This can be a little tricky and you might have the odd ring fall apart, just do your best to put back together again..
- Place on baking sheet and bake in oven for 12 minutes, turn oven and bake another 8 minutes.
- The egg, flour and crumbs should be enough to cover 6-8 rings depending on size.
- I am not including nutritional info as it really depends what cheese strings you use, and the flour won't all be used nor will the egg.. If your cheese strings are 2 SP each then each onion ring will be 2 SP if your cheese strings are 1 SP each then your rings will be 1 SP each, best served warm.