I had a request from a local member at my Wednesday night meeting for a lightened up strawberry shortcake and with Easter just around the corner I thought it was the perfect time to try and create something.. I was so impressed with the end result, these muffins tasted delicious.. I thought about making them prettier "so to speak" but strawberry shortcake can be served up any way you like, you can cut them the same way I did or just top them with the cream and add a strawberry.. I really wanted to use real fresh whipping cream, it adds 2 points to each of them making them 5 smart points total but for me its not strawberry shortcake without fresh cream 🙂 I hope you enjoy them as much as I did!
Strawberry shortcake muffins with fresh whip cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoon liquid egg whites
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅓ cup low fat 1% buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 ⅓ cup flour
- Fresh strawberries
- For the whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar confectionery sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ½ cup heaving whipping cream
- Preheat oven to 375F, spray a 12 hole regular sized muffin tin with cooking spray, I did not use liners.
- In a bowl cream your butter and sugar together, add in egg, egg whites, apple sauce, vanilla and buttermilk and mix well.
- Stir in flour, baking soda and powder.
- Divide into your 12 muffin cups and bake for 18 minutes.
- To make your cream use an electric mixer and beat your cream, icing sugar and vanilla for approx 5-6 minutes until you get a thick cream.
- Slice up your fresh strawberries, cut muffins in half and layer with cream and strawberry slices, top with more cream and strawberry.. Cream should cover all 12 muffins.
- You can use cool whip if you'd like but it will melt fast, the muffins without the cream are 3 smart points each (2PP) points incl the cream is 5 smart points each (3PP)
- Nutritional info per muffin (incl cream) Calories.. 120...Fat 5.6g...Sat fat 3.1g...Carbs 15.5g...Fiber 0.4g... Sugars 5.4g...Protein 2.4g...Sodium 28.8mg