St Patrick Day is on it's way.... and well we all know what that day means.... BEER! 😉 I have collaborated with the lovely Karen over at My skinny sweet tooth to bring you these delicious sticky toffee cakes with a sweet Guinness glaze, because what goes better than St Paddy's day & Guinness! I was born in England and growing up we had sticky toffee pudding often for dessert, I always wanted to recreate it with a lightened up version..I am quite impressed with our finished product! When I first started my instagram account back in January 2014, way before Drizzle me skinny was born 😉 I met some amazing people and definitely had my favorite accounts.. Karen aka @themrskray was on the top of the list for sure.. If you look through her pictures you will see she has some wonderful recipes and her creativity is amazing.. but the best thing I love about her is she shares my love of sweets, and we are both proud owners of several sweet teeth 😉 So we decided we would team up... call us "Drizzle my skinny sweet tooth" if you will 🙂 And we hope to bring you a new sweet creation once a month.. These toffee cakes are a great St Patrick's day dessert and only 6 smart points each.
Sticky toffee cakes with a sweet Guinness glaze
- 2.5 oz dried pitted dates
- ½ cup water
- ⅓ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- FOR THE GLAZE
- 2 tablespoon butter
- ⅓ cup Guinness
- 1.5 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup light coconut milk
- In a pan on the stove over med-high heat boil your dates and ½ cup of water for 5 minutes, then let sit for 10 minutes covered.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray a regular sized muffin tin.
- In a bowl beat together your apple sauce and brown sugar, add in egg and vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix your flour, baking powder and soda and cinnamon.
- Take your dates (and water) and add to a food processor, blend for 1 minute. Add your date mixture to your egg mixture. Then stir in your dry ingredients.
- Fill 10 regular muffin cups with batter and bake in oven for 16-18 minutes.
- Meanwhile on stove make your glaze. Melt your butter over medium heat, add Guinness and stir well. Stir in your sugar, vanilla and coconut milk and let simmer for 5 minutes.
- When cakes are ready poke small holes in the tops (you can use a toothpick or kabob stick) and using a large spoon drizzle your glaze over your cakes, serve immediately. Makes 10 cakes at 6 smart points each or 4pp.
- *Note, you can make cakes ahead of time and store in container, then make the glaze just before you are ready to serve. Also if beer is not for you, then you can omit and add a little extra coconut milk.
- Nutritonal info, per cake (incl glaze) Calories 130..Fat 3.4g..Saturated fat 2g...Carbs 24g...Fiber 1.1g..Sugars 12.2g..Protein 2.1g